1993 yamaha i/o problems

goirish88

Cadet
i have a 93 yamaha 4 cylinder i/o and i cant get it to start it will barely turnover. When i try to start it the negative battery terminal glows red and sparks and smokes. I had the battery and alternator tested and the battery was bad and the alt was good. So i bought a new battery and still the same thing the negative battery cable still smokes and sparks. Any ideas what could be causing this? Possibly a short in somewhere or a starter possibly?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1993 yamaha i/o problems

When i try to start it the negative battery terminal glows red and sparks and smokes

You need a new battery cable to start with. When they fail inside, or the terminal ends are loose, they need replaced. They have to be tight also, wingnuts should be outlawed. Use regular nuts and a wrench. Don't forget, each cable has two ends.

I had the battery and alternator tested and the battery was bad and the alt was good

I can understand why you checked the battery, but why the alternator, and why didn't you check the starter.

goirish88

Cadet
Re: 1993 yamaha i/o problems

the reason i checked the alternator was because it was something easy to check i guess i really didnt need to. I am gonna go get a new cable today. Thanks for the good advice i appreciate it