Steering Question regarding rudder on '91 Malibu Sunsetter

aspenshayn

Cadet
At high speeds my boat pulls really hard. some people have suggested the keel fins are out of alingment, checked them and it's not the cause.

I have recently read that the rudder bushing/bearing may need to be replaced. it doesn't seem bad, but I know a little wear could probably make a big difference.

Has anyone experience this problem and fixed it? looking for some direction.

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Steering Question regarding rudder on '91 Malibu Sunsetter

Ayuh,... How 'bout some History,..??
Has it always done this,..??
If not, What changed just before it started actin' this way,..??

aspenshayn

Cadet

Ayuh,... How 'bout some History,..??
Has it always done this,..??
If not, What changed just before it started actin' this way,..??

Yes, it's done it since I bought it 7 years ago. not much history as it's always done this. nothing changed. just rebuilding the boat so thought I would try and fix this as well.

thanks for any input

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Possibly changing the prop could help, or adding a torque tab to the rudder...

Ned L

Commander

What rotation engine do you have, and which way does the boat pull? I'll guess if it is a righ hand prop it pulls to the left, & if a left hand prop it pulls to the right. - Common thing on some small high speed inboards. About the only thing I've ever seen done to minimize this is to install the engine off center. For a right hand engine, if the front of the engine is a bit off to port (an inch or so), so that the prop shaft is actually at an angle to the centerline of the boat this can compensate for the problem. It is a trial and error kind of a thing.