Yamaha 3.0 water pump wont pickup water

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjo64

Cadet
I have a Chapparal bow rider with the Yamaha 3.0 Liter engine outdrive that I cant get to draw water from the foot. It worked fine last summer and when i winterized the boat. I replaced the impeller due to it breaking apart when I first started the engine this spring and since then it wont draw water. Any ideas? Those water pumps for this set up are expensive. 600 bucks is the lowest price I can find. Thanks...

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha 3.0 water pump wont pickup water

I got a water pump from Lordco. I think it was around 60-80 dollars. I think it was for a 66 chev truck. EXACTLY the same water pump. I wrote it down for future ref, but its at home. Let me check it out, and I'll get back to you if you want. Even bring your water pump in with you, and you'll see it the same one.
I also have a Yamaha L4 3.0.

ranjo64

Cadet

Yes sure please get back with me with any info you have with a water pump that would work...thanks

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

okay, here is the info.....

1968 chev 1/2 ton, 4.1 litre 251 6 cylinder

On the yammie water pump, the upper port is blocked, and on the new one it will be open. So you just have to block it, and voila, exact pump for under 80 bucks!! Bring your old pump in with you and compare, you will see the mod you gotta do right away, and they'll have what you need to do it. Good luck, lets keep these yammies runnun'!!

ranjo64

Cadet

Are you sure we are talking about the right pump? I am talking about the raw water pump for a yamaha L4 3.0 outdrive its in a 1993 Chapparal. Its mounted on the front right side of the engine and belt driven. It wont pickup water from the outdrive with garden hose and muffs attached. thanks

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are 2 water pumps. One is the one i described, which is what I thought you were talking about. The other uses a little rubber impellar. which one do you need. I use Jabsco impellars in mine, if you need that part number, i can give that to you as well when i get home.

The rubber one pulls the water through the drive, the one I was talking about in the earlier post was the one that circulates the water through the engine. We may have been talking about different things, sorry.
Please specify.

ranjo64

Cadet

hey, sorry for the confusion. Its the pump with the rubber impellar inside. I've seen it in the book called the raw water pump or sea water pump. I replace the impeller with a new one which I did a few years ago and it always worked fine. This time it wont pick up water with a hose and muffs attached to the foot. Even bought a new muff and tried and still not working. Capt Ken from Panama City Beach who is supposed to be the guru of Yamaha Outdrives said that if you can blow thru the pump then it wont create enough suction to pickup the water. Just dont see how it could go bad all of a sudden. I have flushed water backwards from the pump inlet hose and it come out the foot intake fine. Thanks for any help..

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, my mistake. You may as well write the info on the other pump down because you may need one, one day.
As for the impeller, if it is still in one piece, it should work. Unless, the key didn't line up right and fell out, or if is not there all together. Then the shaft would spin, but not the impellar. Did you put the key on the shaft before you intalled the new impeller?

mnbigbass

Cadet

are the hoses going the right way , switch them around and check :facepalm:

tdyyoshi

Recruit

I also have a Yamaha 3.0 that recently started to run warm on the lake. I changed the raw water pump and the circulating pump, but when I went to change the thermostat, I found that a piece of the old impeller lodged itself in one of the circulating ports. After removal, I couldn't get it to circulate water with my water ears.

I recently resolved the issue by pulling the raw water pump feed line and running water through it backwards until it flowed out the lower unit. Then pulled the upper line from the thermostat housing and running water back towards the raw water pump until it over flowed. Hooked everything back up and it has ran like a champ since. Only thing I can think of is that the ears could't push the water up high enough and there was an air pocket the pump couldn't get past.

I hope this helps, and if you find something different, please let me know.

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a Chapparal bow rider with the Yamaha 3.0 Liter engine outdrive that I cant get to draw water from the foot. It worked fine last summer and when i winterized the boat. I replaced the impeller due to it breaking apart when I first started the engine this spring and since then it wont draw water. Any ideas? Those water pumps for this set up are expensive. 600 bucks is the lowest price I can find. Thanks...

I had the same problem and scratched all the hair off my head, dropped the lower unit and found the Brass water tube that joins the Lower unit water passage to the upper unit water passage smashed on top of the shoulder where the tube is supposed to fit in. I guess it shifted at some point when bolting it all back up. Had to buy a new brass water tube:facepalm:

Hope this helps you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.