Yamaha stern drive

Beerfaced

Recruit
New guy here. I am trying to replace the engine in my Campion (5L with Yamaha gear) and I can't for the life of me get the leg off in order to lift the engine. I have been told by marine mechanics to have the gear selector in neutral, remove the trim actuators and the speedo tube as well as the 6 nuts holding the unit together. I have done all this but I still cannot seperate the leg even with some gentle coaxing. They told me one trick might be to raise the leg and drop it against a block of wood resting on the transom but that doesn't work either. Do any of you have a solution for me? I know the Yamaha stern drive is a dinosaur but ths one is really in nice condition and has never given me any trouble so if I could possible re-use it I would. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yamaha stern drive

If it's like many other drives that have been in salt water and not pulled off regularly, you may have problems corrosion around the 6 studs holding the drive on, or rust holding the shaft in the gimbal bearing. Could even be the drive shaft is rusted into the coupler. Heat sometimes helps, on Mercruser, the upper cap sticks up enough for a 2x4 to be wedged in between the cap and gimbal ring and the trim pump activated to push the drive off the studs. Careful not to push to hard and break things.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Don't break anything....

While yer closer to Asia than I am, I doubt you'll find much of Any parts available for that drive...

gl1964

Recruit

This is the only guy I can find in Ontario that works on Yamaha out drives . He may be able to help you . They rebuilt mine after someone drove into it while trailering it home last year .

Tel: (519) 682-2868
Fax: (519) 682-3854

Luken Marina Inc.
21737 Harbour Drive RR#5
Tilbury, Ontario N0P 2L0