YAMAHA 1991 I/O cooling problem.

bryont

Seaman
Today while servicing my Boat for the season I found out that I have no water pressure to the engine. I didn’t even realize that the ECU monitored water pressure. There is no gauge but there is a light with an obnoxious buzzer followed by a rising engine temp gauge after about 2 or 3 minutes. When this buzzer is going off I also noticed that the engine will not rev above 2k or so. I sure wish that I had the manual for this boat. The ECU on this thing controls a lot of stuff. It would be nice to know the ends and outs. Anyway, I brought the boat back to the house and pulled the outlet hose off of the seawater pump (I believe that is what it is called) and started the engine with the ear muffs on. No water at all coming out of the seawater pump. I then pulled the pump off and removed the backing and found that the impeller had fragged. A closer look in the outlet pipe and I pulled out 3 pieces of rubber from the impeller. I do have the outdrive service manual and I cannot find anything in the lower unit (like a mercruiser) that looks like a water impeller. Does the Yamaha I/O not have one? <br /> My question is, once I find a new pump (worried about finding one) is there a priming procedure or are ear muffs going to work? Anyone know a place in the Shreveport, LA. Area that knows these rare I/O? How about a good place online to find parts for this thing? It has been rock solid reliable. This is the first failure and I have not found anyone who know these things. Most dealers I talk to look at me like I am nuts when I tell them that I have a Yamaha 4.3 I/O.

crazyray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: YAMAHA 1991 I/O cooling problem.

sorry there not alot of service tech for your drive out there anymore but one of the guys here seems to know them inside and out hang around just a bit and sure he will get back to you

crazyray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Capt Ken is the member's id

bryont

Seaman

Capt. Ken,<br /> Sent you an email from your web site. If you see this first disreguard the email. When I get this fixed I can sell the boat. Making room for a bigger one. I hope..

bryont

Seaman

I have been thinking about this and wonder if I burnt out the pump myself when I started it for the first time this year. I am sure that it would have been dry for a few seconds when I first started it since it was drained for the winter.

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is not an impeller in the drive. the only one is the one u have apart. Be sure to find all the blades. Install a new impeller with a light coating of grease in the housing and you should be good to go. Call Trader Bills at 501-623-8403 and the will ship you an impeller if you can not find one. Good luck.

bryont

Seaman

Believe it or not Yammie has some I/O info in their parts/service area of their website. I found the part number for a master rebuild kit. Will see if I can get one tomorrow. Along with the impeller there is an other piece of rubber in the bottom between the inlet and outlet pipe. It is trashed as well. I believe I found all the parts. I took the outlet to powersteering fluid cooler pipe off and looked for anything. Didn't find anything else. Doesn't look like it could go anywhere past that because of the cooler. Will call tomorrow and see what it's going to cost me. Thanks for the help.

Capt Ken

Commander

Guess I need to start checking in on this site more often. I have the impeller kits along with complete pumps if needed. Actually, I think I have 1 pump. They aren't available from Yamaha anymore. They are a Sherwood pump built for Yamaha and their supply is about dried up also. Usually Trent is quicker on the trigger than I am. You're getting slow Trent.

Capt Ken

Commander

OK, the YSC 10103000C kit they are showing on the Yamaha site is no longer available. And son of a gun, they're showing pumps back in stock now. The pumps are a mere $544.03. Didn't know Yamaha added the part catalogs their site. Course, why would I, I use my dealer's system.

bryont

Seaman

I took the pump apart already. Both the impeller and Cam(which is rubber) are toast. Thanks for the heads up on the cooler as well. I had already noticed that and removed the pieces. I would like to buy a kit from you. Is this the master rebuild kit that is on the website? At the very least I will need the shaft end bushing(Icracked it), impeller, and cam. It was not leaking externally but should I change the shaft seal as well since I have it apart? By the way (like it matters) how much for the kit. I saw the price for the whole pump. WOW. Once again thank you very much for all your help.

bryont

Seaman

Better correct my last post because it is wrong. The cam in my Sherwood pump is brass. I was pulling rubber out from it's passages and thought that the cam was rubber coated. I know now that it is not and wanted to correct this before my post sent someone in the wrong direction. The rubber was from the impeller when it fragged.<br /><br />Oh, Capt Ken thanks for helping the shop out that is resealing my lower unit. You are the MAN!