Yamaha/Merc L4 3.0 manuals

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 1987 Sylvan has a Yamaha L4 3.0 I/O with a Merc engine. I am trying to find service manuals for both but don't seem to be having any luck.

Does someone know where to find these manuals?

Thanks!

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: Yamaha/Merc L4 3.0 manuals

You can find a link to a free download of the Merc. manual in the sticky section at the top of the page.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

So even though the stern drive is marked Yamaha, it is the Merc manuals I should be looking for? Or is there a manual for the engine and another for the stern drive?

(Forgive my confusion - I am naturally blond! :rolleyes: )

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... There probably aren't Any manuals for your Drive, being a Yamaha...
And,..
You stated the motor was/ is a Mercruiser motor...
If the motor is Yamaha, the Merc manuals will be of little use to you...

The Yamahas were only available in North America for a couple of years,..
Now, Parts,+ service is Non-existent...
Well,... Except for This Guy... Capt. Ken...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have a Yamaha outdrive, someone just put a Mercruiser engine in it as a replacement at some time.
There are no Yamaha manuals available that I am aware of.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, that helps clear things up.

I was told (by a former marine dealer) that Yamaha ventured into the stern drive market for a few years back in the 80's and used Mercruiser engines. So I guess the main information I should have is for the Merc 3.0L. I will check out the links at he top of the forum for that.

Thanks guys.

Bondo

Staff member

I was told (by a former marine dealer) that Yamaha ventured into the stern drive market for a few years back in the 80's and used Mercruiser engines.

Ayuh,... That's just NOT True...

All of the marine manufacturers use Chevy base motors...
Your's is a Yamaha version, with Nothing but the base long block in common with Mercruiser...
In other words, Unfortunately, you're SOLuck...

Your Best move at this point is to Sell it to somebody who doesn't know what you're learning today...

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a yamaha stern drive as well. There is a manual for it, it is a Clymer manual. It covers the motor and the drive. If you go to ebay and type in 'yamaha outdrive', you will see a few 'new' ones for sale. I like the yamaha drive. I haven't had a problem getting parts. I haven't needed any gears or bearings yet, just gaskets and 'o' rings and such.
Luckily, yamaha used the same transom cut out as mercruiser did with the alpha drive. So run it, take care of it, and if anything catastrophic happens, change it to an alpha. It is a great drive, very reliable and quiet, if you look after it.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

and used Mercruiser engines

Bondo said:
Ayuh,... That's just NOT True...

All of the marine manufacturers use Chevy base motors

Yep... agree with what bondo says.

Lets see if this ends the confustion any.
There were very few actual Mercruiser engines.... All of the engines that Mercruiser made were pretty much junk anyways.
There are however, many, many engines that Mercruiser has marinized.

As of right now, Mercruiser chooses to marinize Chevy/GM automotive and industrial engines.

Now you ask, what is marinizing and engine?

Mercruiser starts with a block assembled by Chevy/GM to Merc's specification. Merc buys 10's of thousands of these blocks every year.
From there, Mercruiser add's
1. Marine exhaust systems
2. Marine fuel systems
3. Marine ignition systems
4. Marine starting and charging system.
5. Couplers and housings to attach it to a marine drive (vs a torque converter or clutch)
6. Marine cooling systems.

All of those things are different than automotive, and 99% of those things are going to be different on an engine that was marinized by Yamaha vs an engine that was marinized by Merc.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your Best move at this point is to Sell it to somebody who doesn't know what you're learning today...

Not a chance! I like my little boat!

The engine has Mercruiser marked on the valve cover and on the bell housing and Yamaha on the outdrive and there is no indication of the engine having been swapped out so I am inclined to believe they came that way.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Not a chance! I like my little boat!

The engine has Mercruiser marked on the valve cover and on the bell housing and Yamaha on the outdrive and there is no indication of the engine having been swapped out so I am inclined to believe they came that way.

You are as wrong as wrong can be.
It did not come with a Merc engine and a Yamaha outdrive...they were two competing companies for cripes sake!!!!

A week or 2 years down the road when you need some simple part for that little boat you love and discover there are zero of them available anywhere, including Captain Ken, you will wish you palmed that thing off of some unsuspecting fool.

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is possible that there is a mercruiser motor running through the yamaha outdrive. The 3.0 was the same block, and the 2 brands were not that different. Yamaha copied merc quite a bit. I believe same spline on the u-joint shaft, and very similar drive coupler. I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone made a merc marinized 181 motor work where a yammie marinized 181 used to sit.
There is a lot rarer out there. I have seen locally a guy selling a BMW outdrive and motor. Try getting parts for that.

Like I said in a previous post, look on Ebay for the Clymer Manual, there are a few.
The guys are right though, at some point, if you have major drive failure, you will need to consider swapping to a mercruiser drive. But in the mean time, enjoy it. That's what i am doing!

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I never siad that it wasn't possible someone cobbled a Merc in there in place of the Yamaha version of the 3.0, but it sure as hell didn't come that way as the OP claims.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Got any Picyures,..??

crusty clam

Recruit

You are as wrong as wrong can be.
It did not come with a Merc engine and a Yamaha outdrive...they were two competing companies for cripes sake!!!!

A week or 2 years down the road when you need some simple part for that little boat you love and discover there are zero of them available anywhere, including Captain Ken, you will wish you palmed that thing off of some unsuspecting fool.

I am sorry to say but some boat manu. did mix and match because Merc or Yamaha did not build the boat it is up to the boat manu. what they want to do. A good example is mirrocraft of Gellitte The 165V wich they don't make any more. They used the Yamaha L4 3.0 for the drives and were using a ford power plant those they called a Yamaha and when they used the GM power plant they had the merc symbols on them, but all used the Yamaha L4 3.0 drive. Another one is AMC they used anything they could get there hands on or the Jeep cherokee's of the mid 90' that used a toyota tranny. I have a 1993 Mirrocraft 16v with the merc engine and the Yamaha drive that my uncle picked up new when he worked for mirror craft in Wisconsin.