Repower A 1992 Yamaha V-6 Drive

rss221

Cadet
Can Anyone Tell Me The Potential Problems With Changing Out This Drive With A Mercruiser Unit? Is The Transom Hole Like Anything Else Out There? Thanks Rick

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Repower A 1992 Yamaha V-6 Drive

Is The Transom Hole Like Anything Else Out There?

Ayuh,... It's the Same as Mercruiser...

You'll need to ditch the Whole thing, motor, transom,+ drive,...
Then go back with the Merc. power...

rss221

Cadet

So You Are Saying That The Old Yamaha Out Drives Use The Same Transom Hole Cut Out. What I Didn't Want To Get Into Was Fiberglass Work, I Don't Mind Changing A Drive System If I Have To. My Son Found A Local Boat For Sale That Has An Over Heated And Damage Gm 4.3 With Supposed A Good Outdrive. I Have Built Many Gas And Diesel Engines, But I Have Also Owned A Boat Before With An Oddball Drive (Chrysler 300) And Your Screwed When There Are None Left If An Accident With One of Those Occures. So, I Told My Son To Negotiate The Purchase Price Like It Needed A Repower And Now I'm In The Research Phase To See What I'm Getting Myself Into.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The Hull,+ the keyhole in it are Merc ready, Yes...

You'll need EVERYTHING Merc to do a reasonaly Easy swap...
The Best way out is buy that boat for Nothing,....
Then find another boat with a Running driveline of your choice, so you can bone it out for it's parts,...
A Donor boat...

Or,...
Forget about that hull,+ just go find a boat that's already got the driveline you want that Runs...

A hull, without Power, is a liability, Not an asset,....
It's worth Nothing unless you've got a boat that Needs the Yamaha parts...

rss221

Cadet

The boat is a 1992 19.5' Ebbtide bowrider that looks to be in nice shape with the prefered swivel buckets and rear bench seat. A bunk trailer comes with it for an asking price of $1000, which to me of course means less than that. It if looks nears as good in person as the pictures, I would be willing to consider helping my 25 year old son with a project. He has the funds and could use the learning experience. Thank You for the advice. Rick