92 Renken/Yamaha solenoid problem?

jvigier

Seaman
I inherited 92 Renken with a 4.3 and a yamaha drive. I am a car mechanic but know little about boats.

The boat had two significant issues when I got it. The engine was performing poorly in the water (bogged down) and for some reason the only way top shift from forward to reverse was to shut the engine down, move back to neutral and then shift into reverse.

I replaced the Holley 650 (non marine model) for a proper Rochester jetted for a 4.3 and now that part of the engine runs smooth. Issue #1 resolved.

Issue #2 is a little more concerning:

A buddy of mine who is more boat inclined than I am told me that I had potentially had a solenoid problem.

A few questions:

1. How bad is this?
2. if it turns out I have to replace the solenoid, is this something I can do myself (I am ASE cert and have spent 30 years turning wrenches)
3. How much?

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide me.
[/LIST]

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: 92 Renken/Yamaha solenoid problem?

if your talking about a solenoid to fix your shifting problem you should find a new buddy.
You need to find out where the shift interupt switch is on that yamaha, and make sure it works.
More than likely though you need to replace your lower shift cable. I'd bet it's binding.
CaptKen is the only person on this forum who can really help. He's just about the only Yamaha expert left in the states. Just wait and see if he chimes in.

jvigier

Seaman

Thank you for the quick response. I had my doubts but I wanted to be meek (both with him and with you guys).

I had actually put drive cable/solenoid int he original post.

I'll wait in anticipation for Capn. Ken to chime in.

Since I only paid for the gas money to go get this, I would still think this was a good investment right? The engine is in perfect condition...of course that is according to my standards ;)

Bondo

Staff member

Since I only paid for the gas money to go get this, I would still think this was a good investment right?

Ayuh,... Only if you Sell it as soon as you get it running properly....

Yamahas were only available here in the States for 1 or maybe 2 years...
There are now absolutely No parts for 'em...

Capt. Ken can be found Here,.... Tell him I sent ya....