Yamaha 5.0L V8 I/O Help

Antelope

Recruit
I have a Yamaha 5.0L V8 I/O with a Mercruiser outdrive. I think it is a 2000 or 2001. I was hoping that someone could point me to some more information about this engine. I try to do as much maintenance as I can myself with some help from my brother who is not a mechanic but is an engineer so I think his brain works in the same way! I on the other hand, follow directions well and just try to be careful!

I would like to find a way to be able to properly identify this engine so I can get parts easily. But I have some specific questions / parts I am looking to source for this year's tune up:

Size of oil filter?

Gas filter?

Water pump?

Impellers?

Any help is appreciated. I don't mind doing the legwork if someone can point me in the right direction. I also wonder if I should be in the 'Mercruiser' forum rather than this one??

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Yamaha 5.0L V8 I/O Help

a Yamaha 5.0L V8 I/O with a Mercruiser outdrive.

Ayuh,.......

Maybe you could define, Exactly, Where the Yamaha Ends,+ the Mercruiser continues.......

Yamaha used SBChevies,... Just like Merc.......
The Question is,..... How much Yamaha do you have left,..??

Capt Ken

Commander

I'm curious as to how they did that. The yamaha has a belt driven water pump whereas the mercruiser has one in the drive. There would have to be a mercruiser transom assembly or the drive wouldn't bolt up. Then the power steering hoses wouldn't screw into the ram of the mercruiser. This would be one strange beast to figure.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think pictures is about the only way to figure this one out.
When an individule starts putting parts from one companies into/onto something completely different, there is no way of telling what is where without actually seeing it. That doesn't mean it won't work, just on possible way to say what is where or how anything is hooked up.

Antelope

Recruit

Thanks for the link bossee. I found all the parts I needed there. I recognize my engine from the diagrams.

The engine is yamaha right to the stern as far as I can tell. the outdrive is Mercruiser, although I forgot to take pics of the outdrive. (I am at home, the boat is at the cottage which makes all of this such a challenge!)

Anyway, I have some pics, but file size is too large. You can find them here:

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn13/jdd9140/

cool hand

Cadet

How does one know the difference between a YEMS and a EST. Just acquired a 4.3 Yamaha powered boat and seen this designation quite a bit.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Anyway, I have some pics, but file size is too large. You can find them here:

Here's some of your pics. Couldn't they have found a way to make the fit a little tighter on the sides? :) :D :)

May4044.jpg

May4056.jpg

May4038.jpg

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

That engine had to have been put in there later on...no? I don't see how you could work on it without pulling it out of there...it's tight!

Capt Ken

Commander

EST has a distributor, YEMS doesn't.
Now I'm really confused. I'd love to see pictures of the sterndrive on this boat. The engine still has the Yamaha bellhousing so it has to have the Yamaha transom plate or it wouldn't bolt up. Yamaha Y pipe is still there, so the transom assembly is Yamaha or the Y pipe wouldn't attach. I'm betting the drive is a Yamaha but painted black.

Capt Ken

Commander

Yep, it has the Yamaha drive still on it. I just noticed the lower shift cable and it's still a Yamaha cable. No way to convert that to Mercruiser.