Chris Craft Marine Power 305K Engine Replacement/Repower?

alldodge

Staff member
My thought is there should be no issue with installing a Merc, VP or Indmar cooling system in your CC, just need to figure out what is needed. Unless your wanting to put it back in all original condition, there should be fairly simple a way, cost may be the determining factor.

leegoldring

Cadet
Finally realizing that a drop in will likely be the best option, as I plan on keeping the boat for at least 5 years and not too interested in building the engine myself. Regarding the Marine Power 5.7 Sport Pac RR engine (http://marineenginedepot.com/20054/0/Mercruiser-S5.7V-New-5.7L-Complete-Inboard-Engine-Package/) does anyone have experience installing one of these in a CC251?

I don't think the crank mounted raw water pump will fit; it extends beyond the circ pump pulley that is only 1/2" from the bulkhead. Also, Shawn at MP tells me the oil pan that comes with the new engine will fit in. I can also at least use the Paragon if working, until it craps out, then buy a BW 71C. Thanks for any direction you can provide. I will pull the engine this Sat and begin posting picutres - worth a 1,000 words! Thanks again.

leegoldring

Cadet
I've got the engine pulled out successfully, though not going to keep anything but the mounts, possibly for the new drop-in. I am leaning strongly toward LH rotation, and a Hurth ZF45C transmission, and wondered if anyone had insight regarding the effect on steering of the offset rudder on the CC251, if converting to a LH rotation? Image is shown, also with a slightly bent rudder post. I plan to pull it out an have it straightened, but was also curious if there is really going to be a significant steering issue, just from the slightly bent rudder post? Thanks for your reply.

Attachments

• 20171021_100043.jpg
    20171021_100043.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20171021_121316.jpg
    20171021_121316.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
I don't think this would have much effect, but with it being left of a RH prop, this may give a slight better forward turning, don't know, just guessing. With the offset, might get a tad better starboard turn then port, but again just guessing

Was hoping someone would come in a answer, and normally I keep the last answer in my email box so I can go back and have a look if I forget. Sorry, but some how I lost track of the thread.

My gut feeling id the rudder is positioned to the left to keep the drain hole clear, and they used the left side because of the right hand prop. I also do not see left or right position will give much difference. The best for inboards is dead center.

If it was me, I would shift to LH just because everything else after that would be easier.