So I bought me a 4.3 Yamaha stern drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinman2809

Cadet
So guys I bought a 93 Mariah off a good friend of mine...great price. The boat has been well taken care of, but it sat for a year and a half. The boat idles great with ear muffs..in the water..but I have one issue. I took it out last weekend...first time...and it would stall when it went into reverse..but did operate forward. Anything I should look for or check? Yes the gas is a year and half old. Once the season finishes I plan on getting all the fluids changed....oil..lower unit..change the fuel filter....does anyone know what kind of plugs wires and distributor cap the boat takes?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
it was a great price because you cant get parts for the drive or replacement manifolds. Yamaha drives in the US were a very short lived offering.

gas that is 1-1/2 years old is no longer gas

for the distributor cap and rotor, if it is a Delco distributor, then look towards Mercruiser/Volvo-Penta

tlewis1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You are going to have your hands full with that Yamaha. Most dealers in our area won't even touch them. Parts are extremely hard to come by. Hate to be the guy to say sell it....but sell it.

Tinman2809

Cadet
The actual engine is a non vortec 4.3 gm block correct? The parts that are hard to find are for the outboard part? I'm alittle mechanically inclined I don't mind working on stuff. I guess I need to drain the fuel now since it's been sitting for a year and half...how can I do that? The boat stalling in the water could be caused by the old gas? This is my first boat

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, the base long-block is GM, however the exhaust manifolds, front accessories, etc are Yamaha. you can be mechanically minded all you want, if the yamaha stuff breaks, your going to have a hard time fixing it.

yes, crappy gas will cause stalling.

pull access panel to tank, pull sender, carefully siphon out remaining stuff (no longer fuel). clean tank, replace filters, pull carb and clean carb now that that is full of stuff

Bondo

Staff member
The actual engine is a non vortec 4.3 gm block correct? The parts that are hard to find are for the outboard part?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... The Long Block is GM,.... Everything bolted to it is Yamaha, 'n a problem to find parts for,...

They were imported for 'bout 3 years, then Nothin',... includin' parts support,....

Tinman2809

Cadet
I was trying to get in contact with capt Ken to talk about the motor get to know my way around it...i know he has most parts for it...my buddy who sold it to has some parts as well I need to pick up....im going to take it back out Saturday in Belmar I'll keep you guys posted thank you

Psojka

Recruit
I was trying to get in contact with capt Ken to talk about the motor get to know my way around it...i know he has most parts for it...my buddy who sold it to has some parts as well I need to pick up....im going to take it back out Saturday in Belmar I'll keep you guys posted thank you

How's it going one year later? Still have the boat? I also have the yamaha 4.3 setup. We should chat sometime...

Status
Not open for further replies.