RH & LH Timing Help Needed

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, I got 1987 Carver with twin Crusader 270's (5.7l GM) with V-Drives. So if I'm standing on swim platform, looking towards the bow, facing me is the belt/balancer end of the engine, the transmission side is forward. (basically, my engines install in reversed position). So my STB side engine, while looking from aft to bow, is rotating clockwise (meaning its really rotating coutern-clockwise from the trans-side) and therefor a LH rotation engine. (I am assuming this, based on everything I have read thus far.. If I am wrong, please correct me.) Obviously, the Port side engine looking from the same direction is rotating CCW, so from trans-side is Clockwise and thus, a RH rotating engine.

I attempted to install Pertronix electronic conversion kits to eliminate points/condensor. Long-story-short.. they did not work. Could not get engine to power up over 20K RPM. (Just FYI, I did purchase the correct version per the Pertronix technician for my YL670AV distributor the ML-291 kit and it seems that the weights and springs are working)

After this upgrade turned into a failure, I want to put the old points/condenser back in. Sorry for long intro, but here is my question(s)

How the heck do you time the engine correctly. I have a timing light with advance. The balancers on my engines have the metal bracket with the timing marks on them. My PORT side is very legible, but the STB side has a heavy coat of paint that I can actually see the numbers. Both brackets look identical to each other in shape and spacing even though they are on different rotating engines (the dips and grooves are in the same position) What I mean is on the Port side bracket, starting on the left side it reads. ATDC 12* 10* 6* 0* *6 *8 BTDC with a "big valley" indicating 0*. So the exact same position of the "big valley" indicating 0* is in the same spot on the STB bracket. This is where I'm confused.. shouldnt one of the brackets be opposite?? Which of these brackets is correct, the one on the LH (I would assume), or the one on the RH.

Second part of that question.. If I want to check the TA timing at 30*BTDC and set the dial on the timing light to 30, I should be at 0* correct? If so, how would I do that for the opposite rotating engine? I dont have a "negative" advance setting (I dont even know if that is such a thing)

My thought was that if I just timed the engine at 10* BTDC (whcih is what the manual calls for) I could forget about the total advance timing.. but I dont know how to read the timing mark on the RH engine.. since its supposed to be 10* "before", would I just line it up with the 10* "After" mark instead since it is a clockwise rotation?

Sorry for the long post. Any advise will certainly be appreciated.

Have a great day

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Timing tabs come 1 way to the left of 0 is BTDC to the right of 0 is ATDC . For a reverse rotation motor use the ATDC number to time at BTDC
Engine rotation is viewed from the flywheel . A standard motor s flywheel turns CCW and the harmonic balancer turns CW.
A reverse rotation motor s flywheel is CW and the harmonic balancer turns CCW
In both cases the dist`s turn in the same direction ,

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Interesting.. Just FYI.. My timing tabs are not the same. One reads "Before" on the left, the other engine reads "After" on the left. This is on 1987 Crusader 270