Engine revs right to full throttle upon start

stoketh

Recruit
I have a 1959 Chris-Craft w/ Chevy 283 inboard, recently replaced spark plugs, water pump, and oil. Started on land multiple times with flush. Ran great, pumped water fine. Went to boat ramp after a winter in the garage and before swelling the hull (lesson learned), kept boat on the trailer to start the boat in the water to see how well the water pump worked. Not being swelled, took on water too quickly, pulled boat out of water with about a foot of water in the back of the boat (sloped ramp) which came over the floorboards. Thankfully, I DID NOT have the motor started, it was off. Went home, removed all plugs, and sure enough, had some water in the two rear cylinders (1 on each side). With plugs removed, cranked motor multiple times to push remaining water out. Dried things out including opening up valve covers, and checked oil (very little water, but will change oil anyway). Would not start. Sprayed a little ether in the cylinders, let sit for a few hours, put spark plugs back in, and still wouldn't start. Pumped the throttle, sprayed ether in the carb and sounded like it wanted to start. Backfired 3 or 4 times with flames out the carb. Did same - pumped throttle,sprayed ether - multiple times, and then it started. Only problem is that it started at full throttle even though throttle was down (new throttle cable). Shut it down immediately. Started 10 times immediately with no ether spray or pumping throttle, but went right to full throttle revs every time and shut it down right after it started. Would appreciate any guidance!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
First, Welcome aboard! Please don't use either. No motor should not need it if tuned properly. Try disconnecting the throttle cable at the carb first, The only way it can be wide open is if something is stuck or hung up, or you developed a major vacuum leak from a carb base gasket, or possibly intake gasket from the backfire. Either could do it also, that stuff is pretty potent.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Have ya pulled the flame arrester, 'n Looked down the carb to be sure the throttle plates are closed at idle,..??

Wouldn't be the 1st time a throttle cable was installed backwards,....

stoketh

Recruit
Thank you for the welcome and responses. I will check the throttle cable, look into the carb, and check the vacuum line. I have run the boat since the throttle cable was replaced, but will check again.