1977 26 foot Silverton Steering Issues....

fmgarner

Recruit
I need help because it seems no one has a answer so far as to how to fix my prop and rudder problem.
I have a 1977 26 foot Silverton single screw reverse engine rotation and has a 1:1 V-Drive.
I have never used this boat before so I am new to everything about it.
The boat came with a 454 engine that had a 3 blade prop that was shot and beyond repair but on the boat it had a 4 blade prop that is the same size and only difference was the extra blade.
Now the boat has a 350 and a 4 blade prop. It is in the water now but found out there is no right turn and when going straight the rudder is almost all the way right as if you are turning right.The rudder is straight and not broke so I have ruled out that the rudder is not the problem and the steering is correct, everything seems to be correct but still no right turn.
The only thing I can figure is that the 350 is smaller length wise than the 454 and it change where the end of the prop sits behind the rudder and I do not know how much distance needs to be between the prop and the rudder. Somewhere online I found someone say that there needs to be 12 inches between them but them I see pictures of them being so close that it a wonder that the prop don't hit the rudder.

I am in hopes that someone knows what is going on and can tell me what I need to do to fix this problem.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Going to need some pics of what you have but thinking you should have hydraulic steering and it needs to be bleed and and/or adjusted

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
as AD mentioned, you should have hydraulic steering (helm orbitrol and a steering ram)

is your steering rudder arm connected to the rudder shaft? have you pulled the rudder to ensure that the shaft isnt broke in the packing gland? (would recommend pulling the boat and be on the hard to pull the rudder)

on a different note, with a single screw, the motor should not be a reverse rotation

Bondo

Staff member
It is in the water now but found out there is no right turn and when going straight the rudder is almost all the way right as if you are turning right.The rudder is straight and not broke so I have ruled out that the rudder is not the problem and the steering is correct, everything seems to be correct but still no right turn.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... My 1st guess is that prop ain't compatible with yer hull,...

Too much prop walk for the rudder to handle,...