351/Paragon transmission dies in reverse

ashedd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 351 with paragon transmission. It started stalling in reverse but did ok with a little throttle. Today it stopped going in reverse completely. Happened when docking. Luckily it's just me at the boathouse so no audience as I got sideways in the slip. I reved it up to 2k in a desperate attempt to not ram the dock, but it still kept stalling. I looked at the fluid and it's full and not burnt or anything.

And ideas?

The bell housings paint is flaking off like it's been hot.

Edit: I was able to get it in reverse if I gunned it at the same time I threw it into reverse. But it wouldn't idle down, if I pulled the throttle back it would die. I confirmed I could turn the prop shaft in both directions when in neutral. Also, usually at idle in neutral the prop shaft will turn a little, now it doesn't do that at all.

Capt Ken

Commander
Paragons are strange beasts when they get hot. The forward clutches like to weld themselves together. It happens when the forward clutches start slipping. Your forward clutches are warped and not releasing thus the stalling when trying to reverse. You are over coming it when you give more power. Time for a rebuild.

ashedd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
oh geez.... I swear this starboard engine is killing me. It has 1300 hrs, and I've already put at least $1200 into it. I think t needs manifolds too.

The transmission didn't feel hot at all today at the dock. The bell housing on the other hand was hot.. The engine may overheat, but the temp gauge is fine...but the hoses and manifolds sure are hot after running.

ashedd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can't find hardly any info online about these transmissions. The tag says: 6A-1842 P23R Z-7719R so what's the gear ratio? Can I replace it with a velvet drive, then it would match the port side..

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I would think the transmission on one of the sides was replaced already, They should match the same on each side.