Milky v-drive oil

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello to all. I'm helping a buddy with his boat. He has 2001 supra launch ssv. He just got it during spring. his v drive light came on so we checked it and it was so milky I have never seen anything like it. I don't think it has never been changed. he has flushed it prob about 7-10 times and it is still so milky. it doesn't seem like it is getting any cleaner. any thoughts or suggestions. thanks

alldodge

Staff member
V drives have an oil cooler in most but not all cases. If the oil cooler was not winterized then it has busted internally and needs replaced. Have you checked it?

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
V drives have an oil cooler in most but not all cases. If the oil cooler was not winterized then it has busted internally and needs replaced. Have you checked it?

​no we have not checked the oil cooler yet.

tlewis1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Agreed sounds like a cracked oil cooler allowing water to mix in with the oil...change the oil cooler and perform a few more oil changes. It may take a few tries but you'll get it all out eventually.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I'd do a pressure test on the oil cooler before I replaced it. Maybe save some $$$$.