V-Drive Locks Up In Forward Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatjr12

Cadet
My boat has twin Crusader 454's tied to Borg Warner V-drives. A few weeks ago while I was headed back to the dock, I felt the starboard drive slipping a bit. A few days later, I went down into the bilge to check things out. The fluid was low in the starboard side so I added about 1.5 quarts to bring it up to normal levels. There was some fluid in the bilge and at the time, I assumed that it must have been a slow leak that I need to keep my eye on.

Yesterday, I took the boat out again for the first time since adding fluid. Just as I was leaving the no wake zone and I started pushing the throttles forward, the starboard drive seemed to lock up and the starboard engine shut down. I can put the shifter in neutral and restart the engine but as soon as I put it in forward gear, the engine dies again. Fortunately, I still have reverse gear on the starboard side which allowed me to get the boat back in the slip without too much difficulty. I also have more fluid in the bilge.

It seems evident that the leak is not just a slow one. Possibly a loose hose but what I am really worried about now is whether or not I may have killed my drive.

Any suggestions or ideas on this are greatly appreciated.

Frank

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry to say but my guess is the reduction gear is probably damaged or the clutch pack has broken inside. In any case sounds to me that the trans needs to come out.

The inboard transmission is the most overlooked maintenance item on a boat. The oil needs to be checked and most don't. Every so many years it should be changed or when any discoloration starts to show. To check, the engine is to run for 2 min at 1500 rpm, then when shut down check quickly. To much oil is worst then a bit to little. Depending on the model it can have a filter screen

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Curious if you got this resolved, and what it was. I was thinking it couldn't be the reduction gears because they would be affected in FWD and REV, right?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This was the last post the OP made and disappeared. This is just outside of our 90 day window, but with no feedback from the OP.............Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.