Crusader 8.1 Starting Issue

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,

I have a pair of 2003 Crusader HO 8.1s. They are MPI. The starboard one is acting up sometimes. About a month ago, I turned the key to the run position, and normally you would hear the alarm beep, the fuel pump come on, and then you can start it. There was nothing. Tried it again and all was back to normal. Yesterday, it did the same thing 3 times. No alarm, no fuel pump and it would not start. The 4th time I turned the key on, all was normal again. When it does this, all the gauges are working, so I think I can rule out the ignition switch.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I wouldnt rule out the ignition switch. however it could be the ignition relay at the motor

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'd start by cleanin' to shiny metal clean the battery, 'n battery cables, at both ends,.....

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Battery and cables are good, with no starter or cranking issues, even when I do not hear the fuel pump and alarm.

Last edited:

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
My research shows there are both an ignition and fuel pump relay. [each with it's own] There is also a 50 amp breaker switch on the engine.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't do much with Crusaders but the 8.1 should have at least 2 square relays. Pull both relays and swap them, the relays are the same.

Also agree it can be a bad connection on the key switch not passing sufficient power. Gauges are up close, the relays are back on the motor