Model info for Grey Marine?

ashedd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at a 1966 Tollycraft and it has a Grey Marine V8 S/N 28-7601, and that's all we know about it. It may need a new manifold but I need to figure out the model number so I can check availability. It's the original engine, I think, has something like 1200 hrs on it and it's raw water cooled(in salt). I get a mist of white smoke from forward part of the port manifold when it's started, still smokes after five mins of run time. Doesn't overheat and seems like steam, comes from the bottom of the manifold. I didn't take pics of it but I can't find a grey marine pic on google that looks exactly like this one, but I can find a 318 that looks like it. But the broker says it's a grey marine according to the s/n. I've read that Grey Marine manifolds are hard to find.. I'm looking at an identical boat is lesser shape but has a newer 350 fresh water cooled... maybe it's the better of the two??

Any ideas?

Bondo

Staff member
I've read that Grey Marine manifolds are hard to find..

Ayuh,.... Anything Grey Marine is rare,....

A 1966 saltwater motor would scare me, regardless the number of hours,....

Those motors became obsolete shortly after that one was built,.....

ashedd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ayuh,.... Anything Grey Marine is rare,....

A 1966 saltwater motor would scare me, regardless the number of hours,....

Those motors became obsolete shortly after that one was built,.....

That's kinda what I was thinking... It's too bad because this boat has been boathouse kept it's entire life and has zero rot. I'm not able to tackle the challenge/money of an immediate repower. Guess I'll let it go... owner died and family doesn't know what to do with it.

Bondo

Staff member
owner died and family doesn't know what to do with it.

Ayuh,.... Sadly, that happens to cool ole boats, much too often,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you get the boat for a song, you can always search over the winter for new power.

ashedd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if you get the boat for a song, you can always search over the winter for new power.

yeah it's not that cheap, asking 5k for a 28' plywood boat. it's exactly what I'm looking for, but not if it needs an engine... I already passed on one for 8k that had brand new power, maybe I shouldn't have

Scott Danforth

Staff member
FWIW, you can build a stroker small block for under $3k and have a brand new motor in the boat that is exactly what you are wanting for $8k

ashedd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just ran some numbers.... The boat is in the water and would need to be moved under it's own power to my marina which is 50 miles away! I think that's too far of a haul with a suspect engine.. Having it moved by trailer would be something to look at I guess... Maybe I should just keep my little 20' boat with an evinrude lol

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Take your little boat and a cooler of beer and tow the boat. Would take about 6 to 8 hours to go 50 miles

Ned L

Commander
Graymarine (one word) was best known for it's flat head fours and sixes (1930's -1960's). These engines were actually Continental industrial engines. In the 1960's they used some oddball engines (I'm thinking such as some Rambler engines), so I would be careful with it. It may not be something that you can easily swap out long blocks and re-use the marine conversion parts.