1991 Kayot K18 w/ 4.3 Yamaha IB/OB Trim Motor Dead

jrbehm2007

Recruit
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a '91 Kayot K18 with a 4.3 Yamaha IB/OB. The trim/tilt started feeling sluggish and then died. Got the clicking sounds at the relays. Cleaned all the terminals, put power directly to the motor and nothing. Then hit with a hammer and started working again for a short time until finally died completely (tried the hammer again with no luck). I've had absolutely zero luck in finding replacement motor. Got a couple of questions: is it usual to have the trim/tilt motor rebuilt and can any auto electric place do it? If I can't get the motor rebuilt, is there a universal system I can use instead? Everything else on the boat is in great shape, motor and outdrive is in great condition, just the trim/tilt not working is my issue. Thank you for all of your help!

Jeff

Bondo

Staff member
is there a universal system I can use instead?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I believe iboats sells the SEI replacement trim pumps, which oughta work just fine in yer case,....

jrbehm2007

Recruit
Thank you, any recommendation on where I can find original part #? I don't have the part's manual, and the only thing I've found on the trim pump motor seems to be a serial number. Having a hard time determining the correct aftermarket replacement. Also, should I just have an auto repair shop check out the motor first?

Bondo

Staff member
any recommendation on where I can find original part #?

Ayuh,.... Any Oem replacement parts for that driveline are rarer than hen's teeth,....

They were only imported a couple of years, 'n then Yamaha abandoned the market, completely,.....