Won't start, too much oil and smell of gas

jjfrick

Recruit
Hello,
I recently bought an 93 Ebbtide 183 SE / Yamaha V6 4.3 It ran great during the test drive and the first few times I had it out but kept getting harder to start. The last two times I had it out, it would not start. The engine compartment has a smell of gas and it smells like it's flooded while trying to start. I have charged the battery and the volt gage has been at 12V everytime.
I checked the oil after I purchased it and noticed that the level was above the Full mark. I figured it was due to the angle of the boat while on the trailer. I called the guy I purchased it from and told him about the problem. He told me the carburetor float may be stuck or the gas vent could be clogged. I've got the carb out and I'm going to soak it in carb cleaner but I very concerned about water or gas in the oil. I'm no mechanic but feel comfortable taking it on on my own, any suggestions on how to proceed. I took the oil cap off and stuck my nose near the hole and could not smell gas.
Thanks, Jeff

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
It wouldn't be a bad idea to change the oil so you know what you're starting with. When you get the old oil out, you can test it by smell and by feeling it to see if it is noticeably thinner. You will also then know exactly how much oil is in the system in case you see the problem again. It is possible someone overfilled it. You really don't want to run the engine much with any contaminated oil, as it will reduce the life of the engine.

drrnjnr

Seaman
Yes, sounds like the fuel is leaking through the carb floats, Could end up in disaster.......Fuel could even fill one or more cylinders, creating hydraulic effects and bending your conrods and wrecking your engine whilst starting........Happened to a mate of mine on his motorbike.

Take the carb or carbs off, remove the float bowl, clean/replace and check the float valve for leaks. Also check the height of the float when it closes the valve, you can do that with the pointy end of a vernier guage. An on/off tap between the tank and carbs is a solution to stop fuel pressure from gravity during the winter.

Oh, and dont forget to change the oil and filter, it'll be compromised.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... What carb ya got,..?? 2bbl,..?? 4bbl,..?? Rochester,..??

With the 4.3l, or any Chevy boat motor, I dump in 4 quarts, run it, check for leaks, shut it down, 'n then top off to the full mark,.....
The 4.3l only needs 4.5 qts, Usually,...
The 3.0l, or V-8s, it depends on the oil filter used,....

Everybody thinks, they hold 5 quarts, it's usually something less,....