The Dreaded Yamaha Stern Drive..

wheeman2222

Cadet
Well I made the rookie mistake of getting a "deal" on a 1992 Ebbtide Campione 220. It has a 7.4L Yamaha Stern Drive powerhouse. While it's not a blown project yet, I have an overheating issue. I've replaced raw water pump impeller, circulation pump, intake gasket, and thermostat (which was removed). Come to find I am unable to get a prime on the system to move water. Unless it's jacked at high rpms. Come to find a friend, was looking g at it and poked the hose that goes from the gimble into the transom on the outside of the boat. I think it's called the water hose. (Go Figure.) So it attaches into the gimble in what I believe is a weird fashion. Inside where the hose is supposed to go in is a tube with two grooves inside it. I found 2 white plastic pieces that look like they mate together to make it snap and hold the hose on. So after that long drawn out explanation, I want to ask:
Is there parts that I may be missing to attach the water hose to the gimble? I believe I am getting an air leak there which is causing me to overheat. Does anyone have pictures of what is supposed to be there? Please help!!

Thanks
W

wheeman2222

Cadet
Thanks Fun Times,

Those seem to look like the parts I have. I am just not sure how they fit into the actual lower unit, the sizing and way they connect do t seem right to me... Or that secure for that matter. Would I be crazy in wanting to tap the hole in the lower unit and thread in a pipe fitting that takes it into a hose barb? There I could actually clamp the hose on securely? It's also very hard to get into that area the push the hose in as well

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It would probably be easier to go to a thru-hull fittin', 'n sea strainer than moddin' the lower unit/ outdrive,....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
While it's not a blown project yet, I have an overheating issue. I've replaced raw water pump impeller, circulation pump, intake gasket, and thermostat (which was removed). Come to find I am unable to get a prime on the system to move water.

Howdy,

Well, I had a pretty good look at all the parts illustrations for that engine and drive. The raw water pump for that engine is not unlike a Mercruiser Bravo Sea Water pump. Engine driven, with water pickup in the drive.

The key point here is that ANY leak in the suction line from the drive to the pump will allow air into the system and cavitate the pump or prevent it from maintaining suction.

You can easily determine if this might be part of your problem by disconnecting the hose to the raw water pump inlet and connecting a piece of same diameter clear vinyl hose so you can observe the flow water and see if there's bubbles in the line. Also, since the raw water pump is usually slightly below the waterline when the boat is in the water, you should have a good "flow" of water if you disconnect the suction line from the pump inlet (when the boat is sitting static in the water)

If not, there's something blocking the flow. If you have a flow of water then the pump will prime by itself.(assuming it's connected correctly)

When running in the water, if there are NO bubbles (either at idle OR up on plane) and you have determined there's no blockage in the suction line, you need to look for blockage between the pump OUTLET and the thermostat housing. (I.E.an oil cooler and/or power steering cooler or in the hoses etc)

If there's no blockage between the pump and the t-stat housing, you may still have blockage (or debris) in the block, heads, exhaust manifolds or risers.

Well I made the rookie mistake of getting a "deal" on a 1992 Ebbtide Campione 220. It has a 7.4L Yamaha Stern Drive powerhouse.
Unfortunately, this may be true. That particular Yamaha drive is actually a pretty cool design. They didn't use dog or cone clutches in favor of a multi-disc wet clutch system. Makes for VERY smooth and positive shifting! Not a LOT of sources for parts in the US..... Capt Ken comes to mind though..

Sorry about that....

Rick

Last edited:

Capt Ken

Commander
Punch a hole in the hull and install a thru hull for your water pickup. Getting the system pair tight down to the lower unit is a royal pain.