Newbie with a Ski Supreme 1987 headache

sergiojho

Recruit
Hi guys first post here. I m new to this boating world. I just bought an 87 Ski Supreme Sierra and i m having a lot of water coming into the boat under the engine i did not notice any crack under the boat or anywhere else. I was like 4 weeks ago in the lake travis and spent 6 hours in there but i had to use the bilge pump to drain a lot of water. When i parked the boat i noticed that there was water next to the engine mounts in the right hand side where is like a compartment or so and thas really high like 15 cm from the bottom to the engine. Any help?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Unfortunately there's only 1 way to find a leak, 'n that's Look for it while it's leakin',....

Use a flashlight, mirror, or digital camera to see where ya can't fit yer head,....

My 1st guess would be the packin' box, where the driveshaft passes through the hull,...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Thru hull fitting. rudder, leaking waterpump(s), hoses

sergiojho

Recruit
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Unfortunately there's only 1 way to find a leak, 'n that's Look for it while it's leakin',....

Use a flashlight, mirror, or digital camera to see where ya can't fit yer head,....

My 1st guess would be the packin' box, where the driveshaft passes through the hull,...

I know the previous owner said something about putting a kind of waxed rope or so in somewhere undern the back seat where there is some part of the driveshaft could be that the packin box.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I know the previous owner said something about putting a kind of waxed rope or so in somewhere undern the back seat where there is some part of the driveshaft could be that the packin box.

Yep I believe that is what Bondo is referring to.

sergiojho

Recruit
Yep I believe that is what Bondo is referring to.

OK thanks cause he gave me the same rope he used the last time. and i thought he said something about change that thing every year and the last time was 2 years ago. so i m guessing that could be one of my issues.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Some of 'em can be "Adjusted", by tightin' the packin' nut,....

Might get ya through the season,....

sergiojho

Recruit
Ayuh,.... Some of 'em can be "Adjusted", by tightin' the packin' nut,....

Might get ya through the season,....

he gave me a box with that rope so i think i may take my chance and try to install a new one .