Eaton Outdrive Model C Series 14 and 16 interchangable?

copelandg

Cadet
I have an old eaton outdrive that is running great, just reworked with new seals and bearings.

I am anxious, though, to squirrel away extra parts since these things are getting rare. I have found a series 16 that is apparently in good shape. Unfortunately, I have a series 14. So, these are both Model C outdrives with the same gear ratios, based on the serial number, but a different series.

Photo of the drive looks the same to mine but only a photo...so who knows.

My service manuals indicates that the critical parts, like the motor mount ring and forward joint assembly, are identical between the two series, indicating this should mount on my boat perfectly.

So, that is my question....how similar are these two versions and what parts would be different? Could a 16 serve as a good source of parts for a 14?

Best I can figure the series 14 was mated with the 140 horse interceptor and the 16 with the 160 horse.

I not be able to travel to actually inspect this thing, so hoping for some wisdom here.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
My service manuals indicates that the critical parts, like the motor mount ring and forward joint assembly, are identical between the two series, indicating this should mount on my boat perfectly.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... I've got a pair of Dana drives on my houseboat,.....

Donno the model numbers, don't remember off the top of my head,....
They're HUGE drives, 8qt.s of oil,....

I've had the barge 'bout 10 years, I went through 'em when I bought it, before I even moved it,.....
Tied 'em in the up position, 'n they've been there ever since,....
Ain't tried to "Run" the boat at all, no time, 'n it's used as a guest cottage at the river house,...

Anyways, the most valuable resource I found for Dana drives is Marysville Marine, in Marysville Mich,....

Google 'em up,...
Lotsa parts, parts listin's, 'n reference diagrams,...

copelandg

Cadet
Just a follow up. I contacted Marysville Marine and they no longer carry any eaton parts...were not able to give me any advise on interchangeability. Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... You can try French Creek Marina, Wilbur Wahl is the owner, 'n has been 'round forever,....

I know he has alota used Dana stuff, 'n a couple of ole crusty mechanics that have been workin' on 'em for years, 'n years,....