Will an 11 spline starter work for a 9 spline application?

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1969 Glasply with a buick 225 3.7L V6. I'm having trouble finding a marine starter for this application. The ACDelco part number is 336-1860, but it's not a marine starter. I asked a marine starter dealer on amazon if he has the right starter and he sent me https://www.amazon.com/Mercruiser-O...e=UTF8&qid=1466518782&sr=8-1&keywords=sdr0272 . However, this starter has 11 splines, and the original calls for 9 splines. Will the 11 spline work for me? If so, is there anything special I should do or prepare while installing. Pulling that inboard bolt is a mother, and I don't want to have to contort myself that way for any longer than I have to. Thanks in advance for any help/comments.

Bondo

Staff member
with a buick 225

Ayuh,..... I Don't Know,....... Never pulled a starter off a Buick that I remember,.....

If it takes a Chevy straight across bolt pattern, it oughta work,....

Chevys don't care 'bout the tooth count, only the bolt pattern,....
Straight across, or staggered,....

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ayuh,..... I Don't Know,....... Never pulled a starter off a Buick that I remember,.....

If it takes a Chevy straight across bolt pattern, it oughta work,....

Chevys don't care 'bout the tooth count, only the bolt pattern,....
Straight across, or staggered,....

They are in-line with each other, but there was one long bolt, and one short bolt. The link above says the starter also fits an OMC 3.0.