5.7 ilmor motor

Rdingman08

Recruit
I just bought a basically new (2 hour) ilmor off a friend who works at a company who does testing these motors. I wanted to replace my current mercruiser motor with it but i cant find any information on them and its looking like i cant direct swap this like mercruiser motors. Any help is appreciated

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the block and heads (long block) comes out of the exact same parts bin at GM that volvo and mercruiser buy. the difference is in the marinization. I know that Ilmor makes their own intakes, exhaust systems, etc and does their own programming.

for dropping into a mercuiser application, I would unbolt everything Ilmor and bolt on everthing that is Mercruiser.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
So basically my bell housing should bolt up. Swap over my intake and carb and be done?

yes. I would also use the mercruiser exhaust and the front end accessories (brackets, alternator, power steering, etc.) as Ilmors are different than mercruisers

Bondo

Staff member
So basically my bell housing should bolt up. Swap over my intake and carb and be done?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... These are questions ya should be askin' yer bud,....

Ilmor motors are so uncommon, I doubt any of Us here has much of a clue as to how they connect to the driveline, nor where/ how the exhaust manifolds dump out, nor how the motor connects to the hull electrically,....

Maybe the exhaust will dump right into a Merc y-pipe,... Donno,.....
Thru-hulls are another option,.....

Maybe the Ilmor plugs into a Merc 10 pin cannon plug,.... Donno,.....

If this motor comes with the electronics needed to run it,...
Maybe, it's just a plug, 'n play swap,..... Donno,....

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Ilmor does market their motors and outdrives to the marine industry. I've seen a new Formula go-fast with twin IImors.
A guy I know put an IImor package into his very unique Mannerfelt B28 "Batboat".
Here's some pics: