So I'm an idiot.....

sppd796

Recruit
Like the title says I did something foolish. I bought a Century 190LX with the Yamaha I/O set up. Boat had a bad impeller and a bad battery when I got it. Installed the new impeller today (30 bucks and READILY available. The Sierra part appears to be an exact match.).

When I hooked the boat to the muffs its cranks but doesn't fire. Previous owner said he never had an issue (shocking). When I turn the key to the on position I hear what appears to be an electric fuel pump on the lower left side humming. Tried checking a plug for spark but can't be sure if Im getting a good ground.

Any advice where to start? Where would be the best place to check that fuel is getting to the carb?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... What's it got for an ignition system,..??

If a distributor, 'n coil, test for power at the coil's (+) terminal,....
If there's power,...
Pull the coil wire outa the distributor, 'n hold it 1/2" from ground, 'n turn the motor over on the key,....
Ya oughta see sparks,....
If ya Don't see sparks, We gotta know what the ignition system is,....

If ya got Spark,....
Splash 1/4 ounce of gas directly down the throat of the carb, 'n hit the key,....
It it sputters, starts, 'n dies, the fuel system is goobered up,....

If ya get it runnin',....
Clean up the boat, 'n Sell it,... Quickly, before something else breaks down,.....

sppd796

Recruit
Well guys like I said I'm an idiot. Didn't realize there was a lanyard on the ignition. Put the clip in place and it fired right up! Was gonna test it on the lake today but the battery was just too tired to crank it over hard enough. Started yesterday but had been on the charger all day and while cranking. I think I will toss a new battery in when I get back from annual training in two weeks and see what happens!

Bondo

Staff member
when I get back from annual training in two weeks and see what happens!

Ayuh,...... We'll be here,..... Good Luck,..... ;)