delco est timing not advancing

77searay197

Petty Officer 3rd Class
4.3 Yamaha sterndrive with I believe a delco est distributor. I bought the boat with a cracked block and rebuilt a motor for it. for I have the timing shunt and set the timing to 8 btdc at idle. I disconnected the shunt and reconnected the other plug back in and when I would go to rev the motor it would only go to about 12 degrees. that cant be right can it? I had a old module from a old 350 omc cobra engine and put it in and still the same thing but I don't know if that module was any good or if it would have worked right. any thoughts what the problem could be? im stumped! I was wanting to take it out this weekend but I don't want to if the timing isn't advancing.

Capt Ken

Commander
Did you use the jumper to lock the timing when you set the initial timing?

77searay197

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes I figured it out. It wasn't getting a good ground on the module. I now have another issue. The shifter is binding going into reverse and the motor keeps dying when I shift. Would that be the lower shift cable?

77searay197

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just took the outdrive off and the cable moved easily. I moved the fork and sometimes u would have to turn the prop a hair to get it to fully engage but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. It moved fairly easy though and I didn't feel any play in it