Help finding ford 460 reverse rotation starter

Elliomcmh

Seaman
I have a 1977 Glastron CVX-20 jet boat with a Ford 460 in it. It has a top mount reverse rotation starter. Does anyone know where I can find one of these? I can't find a part number or anything.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Take it to your local starter/alternator repair shop and have them rebuild it

Elliomcmh

Seaman
I am taking it today, I was surprised that the closest one is almost an hour away.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 1977 Glastron CVX-20 jet boat with a Ford 460 in it. It has a top mount reverse rotation starter. Does anyone know where I can find one of these? I can't find a part number or anything.

Are you sure it's reverse rotation? Normal position is bottom starboard side facing to the stern, for inboards they move it to top port side facing the bow. Could also be on starboard side facing the bow. Even if on the starboard side facing the bow, Rotation is the same so far as the motor

Last edited:

Elliomcmh

Seaman
The starter mounts on the top side of the flywheel and the teeth are facing the bow of the boat.

alldodge

Staff member
The starter mounts on the top side of the flywheel and the teeth are facing the bow of the boat.

Should be a standard rotation starter, nothing special. Is your motor a standard left hand rotation motor (facing front of the motor, it rotates counter clockwise)?

Elliomcmh

Seaman
No Title

Here are the two 460 wiring diagrams from my owner's manual. My starter is the prestolite one

Attachments

• photo245274.jpg
    photo245274.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo245661.jpg
    photo245661.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Are you sure it's reverse rotation? Normal position is bottom starboard side facing to the stern, for inboards they move it to top port side facing the bow. Could also be on starboard side facing the bow. Even if on the starboard side facing the bow, Rotation is the same so far as the motor

Incorrect on my part, starter must be swapped to opposite side to be same rotation. So your correct if it went from bottom right to top right then it needs to rotate in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
No I'm the one who is totally wrong, got my head up somewhere I don't even remember. Moving a standard rotation from the front to the back of the flywheel will cause the motor to turn over in the opposite direction. Merc does it and also uses reverse rotation starters. If you search on Ford 260 marine starter it will have several places to get one. Here is one of them
http://www.hardin-marine.com/c-1227-starters.aspx