Engine Stalls at idle or low rpm at start

saabmbab

Recruit
I just bought a 2000 Sea Doo Islandia jet boat with a Mercury 240 EFI engine. Fuel injection. It starts up for a couple seconds, then it stalls while in idle. I can get it to stay running, but I have to get it off neutral and put it into forward or reverse and accelerate, giving it gas. Once it gets going, the fuel sensor beeps... after riding it for a while, the fuel beeps stop. I can ride it for a while, but when I idle it or stop and try to start it again, it will stall out again.

It's happened 4 out of 4 times I've been on the water this year. Very scary when you have a family with small kids out on the water.

I've taken it to the mechanic. First time it died, he found a cracked starter mount. I got it welded back on then I took it back out of the water. The same stalling problem happened again. The mechanic found a split vacuum line and replaced it. I took it out a 4th time today and it happened again. Same problem. Starts up, runs fine for a while. We stop for a bit to enjoy the lake. When we start it up again, it stalls at low RPM. I can get it going as long as I rev it a bit out of neutral. But you have to be moving. Huge problem for us, when we stopped in a marina for lunch. We couldn't get out without crashing other boats. It was terrible.

What could be wrong with this? I hope I didn't buy a lemon. Thank you for your help.

saabmbab

Recruit
Thanks AllDodge. The engine is fuel injected. I don't think it has a carb. Do you think something else needs to be cleaned?

saabmbab

Recruit
Thanks All Dodge. the mechanic is suggesting it might be the sensors. What do you think?

alldodge

Staff member
Your post stated fuel in it

What beeps are you getting?

4 beeps then 2 minutes off and it repeats (water in fuel)
Continuous intermittent beeps (throttle position sensor)
Other kind

What sensor does he want to replace?

saabmbab

Recruit
It seems the beeps change a bit.. it's hard to hear with the motor. The last time it was multiple beeps in a row, then it stops. Starts again, then stops. After driving it a bit, the beeps go away. Is there a computer readout on that tells you what's wrong on my engine? When I have a car problem, there are diagnostic tools. Wondering if there is the same here.

Of the 4 times I've gone out, it only stalls at start up or at low rpm/idle. It's pretty consistent. Works at cold start, drive for a while. Shut off engine. Then it gives me a problem after restarting it while on the lake for a bit and warmed up. The TPS notes I've read suggest it can stall at any random speed.

alldodge

Staff member
According to the list it should only be water in fuel, low oil or throttle position sensor

alldodge

Staff member
To verify parts I could use a serial number of the motor,