Ford 351 pcm. Tune up parts

samt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A friend of mine bought an old correct craft with a 351 pcm it has a sticker that says 250 on it I assume that's the HP rating. Anyways it has no fire and we want it right anyway so we're going to do a complete tune up. My question is besides the fuel pump can we walk into autozone and get the parts? Would it be a 351W? We already replace the starter and solenoid with a new marine one but we still lack plugs, wires, points, coil.
I think I can just clean the carb good, I rarely need a kit. Will any ford marine fuel pump work?

I'm a Chevy guy so ford parts interchange is foreign to me and I don't want to buy pcm parts for 5x the price. When I can buy ford or ford marine parts where needed.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... All of the fuel related parts gotta be Marine rated,.... Auto fuel pumps are vented differently,....

Likewise the electrical,....

I don't know, but doubt PCM used a Ford Motorcraft distributor,.....

So, you'll need to Id the distributor, 'n get parts accordin'ly,...

samt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yea I'm familiar with all the electric and fuel parts needing to be marine. I need to look at the distributor I'm guessing it's Mallory or presto lite huh. I honestly haven't seen the engine rescently were just trying to gather parts from afar for the weekend. I'm just learning that pcm stuff is hard to find, but I'm betting if it's like gm I can find a merc version of the engine or something else similar that's super easy to get parts. I know I can get automotive plugs, wires and a coil right? I can't imagine a marine coil.

Skypirate

Seaman Apprentice
Need to check if its a reverse rotation motor, if it is the cam gears are cut opposite and the distributor gear as well

Bondo

Staff member
I'm just learning that pcm stuff is hard to find, but I'm betting if it's like gm I can find a merc version of the engine or something else similar that's super easy to get parts.

Ayuh,... Volvo used Fords nearly 20 years after Merc went All GM,....

OMC too,... Right up to when they went under I believe,....
I know I can get automotive plugs, wires and a coil right?

Plug wires will be way to short, 'n the coil follows/ has to match, the unidentified distributor,....

Last edited: