1986 centurion

andrewcoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i recently purchased a 1986 ski centurion with a 351w direct drive. I took it out for the first run and there was a pretty bad vibration. i have searched and searched and have not found a good answer. i know that it could be the prop shaft. But what are some tests I could do on the water to see if i can narrow down the problem?
Next question is when i went out with 2 passengers the boat would porpoise at higher speeds. however when i was alone it did not porpoise. not sure what would cause this. thanks in advance.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It sounds like ya oughta pull the boat, 'n be inspectin' the Bottom,....

Check the prop, the prop shaft, 'n how straight, 'n true the wetted surfaces are,....

Could have a hook, or more likely a rocker in the bottom,...

andrewcoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks! So obviously it would be an expensive repair, so should I put trim tabs on and enjoy the Boat or should I not use it? I am going to get the prop/prop shaft checked out tomorrow so we will find out what the vibration. The prop is a little rough so I'm thinking that's what it is

andrewcoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I went outside and it doesn't have a noticeable rocker it appears to be straight all the way up to the front of the hull. I'm going to start with the prop and see if that helps