My purchase a boat, can any one give me some tips and tricks?

DirtyMaxin

Cadet
Looking into purchasing a '78 Centurion Day Cruiser style, less motor. Set up for a Harman 454. Has a Velvet Drive and Stern Powr outdrive. I have a lot of friends in the boating world and they all tell me the velvet is great but they've never seen a Stern Powr before. Is there anything I need to know about this set up? I currently have a MerCruiser 350 short block with fresh rebuild and fresh rebuilt Vortec heads. The Chevy style bell housing plate is still in the boat. I know I need the new exhaust manifolds and logs to match the 350 instead of the 454, but a friend has a set lying around. My big question is about what I need to complete the motor. Gauge senders, intake/carb set-up, which cam to run. I want this set up to have plenty of power to move the 21 foot semi-v with the max of 8 passengers. I'm also trying to figure out what water pump and hoses I'll need for my application. Does anyone have any resources available or would I have to just wing it?

Thanks guys!

alldodge

Staff member
The velvet drive is a good one and if taken care of will last a long time.

You have a fresh rebuilt 350 and your asking about a cam, do you plan to replace if it doesn't have the right one in it? Basically you want a cam for a truck

Don't know anything about Stern Power. If the drive does not have a water pump in it, you will need a belt or crack shaft pump.

Going from a 454 to a 350 is stepping back but built right it will move the boat, just probably not as well.

Do you have a bell housing which will bolt the 350 to the velvet?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I checked google, and found some info on stern power, check it out, it looks like a Volvo outdrive.

JonBrown

Seaman
Hello ,
Stern Powr, spelled just like that is a military version of a outdrive. It is like the King Cobra/Volvo in looks only. It is built from parts of a tank I think. No special tools to work on. Can be rebuilt by anyone with good mechanical background. Heavy parts and direct gears. It uses a transmission to driveline to outdrive. Will couple to any engine I am told. Some have had trouble getting parts in the past but they are available now a day from the new company I hear. It will run gas through diesel applications. They have thier limitations although i dont think I can break one. Hope this helps.
Jon

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I've heard of 'em, but never seen one,.....

My ole houseboat has a pair of Dana's on it,....
They too, are built like M-60 tanks, 8 qt.s of oil, each,....

Forward, 'n reverse is done in the drive, the motor has a hyd. clutch so it can be shifted,....

JonBrown

Seaman
I think the Dana and Stern have some similarities. I have heard that some of them are the same. Not sure of that though.