Yamaha sterndrive

77searay197

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm putting a rebuilt 4.3 motor in my 94 century 180 because supposedly the previous owner winterized it and well...cracks everywhere. Anyways I'm about to the point to where in gonna put the motor back in and I was wandering when I put the outdrive on is there anything in particular I need to watch for? I'm new to sterndrives. I noticed there's what looks like a fork that sticks out and I'm guessing that's the shift cable? What do I gotta do to make sure I get it lined up properly when I install it? I figured since it said Yamaha that I was good since Yamaha is very popular. I guess I should have done my research about how most of these parts are obsolete! Oh well u live and learn. Thanks

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
I guess I should have done my research about how most of these parts are obsolete!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... They're only obsolete in North America,.....

I hear Yamaha is popular other places on the planet,..... they had lawsuit problems here in the USA,....

I ain't sure how to pull or install their drives,...
But,....
Before ya install the drive, ya gotta align the motor to the gimbal bearin', just like Merc, the later OMCs, 'n some Volvos,....

The alignment bar tool, 'n procedure is the same for All of 'em is the good news,.....

77searay197

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I take it a mercruiser alignment tool will work for aligning the engine?