Dexcool or ?

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Having said that, it does mention Dexcool on page 37. It goes on to say standard coolant should be replaced every two years, and extended life coolant every 5 years. One can then assume, either one is acceptable.

Now having said that, this manual is for the 2014 Crusader 5.7's, 6.0's and the 6.2's. I wonder if they have any aluminum blocks or heads?

Fun Times

Staff member
Prestone mixes with any other antifreeze, including Dexcool. I will be doing a complete flush anyway. :)

http://prestone.com/enca/products/antifreeze/coolant
The new technology from Prestone seems compatible with all coolants from years past including Dexcool. It sure would have made deciding what other coolant to use easier if they would have actually said Dexcool specifically as that is the most popular coolant that seemed to put the whole coolant industry in a whirlpool to begin with. The Extended Life is a key word if you want to go as long as 5 years vs 2 years and be compatible with the Dexcool for the 5 year program.

It boils down to you have two options now for the GM engine your are running, either use the Dexcool as normally recommended or the newer All Makes & Model coolant. Bear in mind that the Dexcool used in the 8.1's didn't seem to exhibit all the same problems in the marine engines like many of us have seen in the GM engines....I still own a 1998 GMC 5.7l truck from new and needed the intake gaskets replaced (under GM warranty) due to leaking then came the need for a new radiator just out of warranty due to clogging.
I found a press release from Prestone.com somewhere around the 2004 era.

Prestone? Launches Universal Antifreeze for All Makes, Models, Colors

Retailers, Distributors Benefit from Fewer SKUs and Price Points

DANBURY, Conn., June 10, 2004 ? The current antifreeze market has become cluttered and confusing for customers and consumers alike. There are a plethora of formulas, all arriving on shelves in various colors and for different makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. With multiple price points and innumerable SKUs, the antifreeze/coolant market has become nothing short of perplexing and burdensome. Prestone ? a Honeywell brand ? is responding to this issue with a solution ? the NEW Prestone? Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant, compatible with ANY antifreeze/coolant used in ANY make or model automobile or light duty truck on the road today.

The new formula is compatible with ALL types of antifreeze/coolant on store shelves ? including conventional silicated technology , organic acid technology and hybrid technology coolants. The new Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant has a patented carboxylate technology that carries a traditional colored liquid contained in the recognized Prestone yellow bottle. It can be added to any antifreeze/coolant that is currently in any domestic or foreign car or light duty truck?s system ? regardless of its color ? and when added to any extended life coolant will provide extended life properties up to five years or 150,000 miles.*1

?Customers were becoming overwhelmed by the numerous varieties of antifreeze/coolant they were carrying in order to meet consumer coolant needs, which led to higher inventory costs and lower returns on their investments,? said John King, Prestone Product Manager. ?The new Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant allows our customers to have fewer price points, as well as fewer antifreeze SKUs to keep track of on their shelves, in their warehouse and when re-ordering. The formula is easy to understand, and will help bring back motorists that converted to do-it-for-me (DIFM) consumers when the antifreeze/coolant market became crowded and complex. These consumers can now be confident that this universal formula will be compatible with their vehicle when flushing and filling, or just topping off.?

Prestone is also manufacturing a 50/50 mixture of the new Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant, which is strictly intended for topping off. It features the precise factory-fill blend used by most major auto manufacturers ? 50 percent antifreeze concentrate for temperature and corrosion protection, and 50 percent de-mineralized water for vital heat transfer. Like the fully concentrated formula, this product can be added to any vehicle?s cooling system, and will mix with all varieties of formulas.

?The Prestone brand is giving peace of mind to both customers and consumers,? added King. ?With our new universal formula, customers know how to advise consumers on what to use for their cooling system needs. All they need to remember is to trust the yellow bottle ? the new Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant.?

Retailers interested in learning more about the new Prestone? Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant should contact their local sales representative or call (800) 890-2075. Products can also be ordered online at www.honeywellauto.com ? the business-to-business web site established by Honeywell Consumer Products Group for placing and tracking orders.

Headquartered in Danbury, Conn., Prestone is a unit of Honeywell Consumer Products Group, a division of Honeywell International Inc. The Honeywell Consumer Products Group manufactures and markets FRAM? oil, air, transmission and fuel filters; Prestone? antifreeze/coolant and car care products; Autolite? spark plugs and ignition wire sets; and Holts? car care products. Information about Prestone? products is available on the Internet at www.prestone.com.

Honeywell International is a $23 billion diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes and industry; automotive products; turbochargers; and specialty materials. Based in Morris Township, N.J., Honeywell?s shares are traded on the New York, London, Chicago and Pacific Stock Exchanges. It is one of the 30 stocks that make up the Dow Jones Industrial Average and is also a component of the Standard & Poor's 500 Index. For additional information, please visit visit www.honeywell.com.

*1 Provides extended life protection up to five years or 150,000 miles when added to any extended life antifreeze/coolant or flushed and filled. Always consult your vehicle manufacturer?s owner?s manual to determine the specific maintenance and change-over intervals recommended for your vehicle.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would just go with what Crusader recommends. Give them a call.

Last edited:

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
I just spoke with technical support at Pleasurecraft Engine Group in SC, the parent company of Crusader Engines. He stated their engines come from the factory with Dexcool antifreeze, because that is what GM recommends. He also stated that almost any type of antifreeze may be used, as long as the existing antifreeze is properly flushed out first. He was well aware of the issues some folks have had with GM Dexcool in automotive applications.

This confirms that Prestone mixes with all extended life antifreeze, will work just fine.

I also found this on the Prestone website. It's nice to know they are always trying to improve their products.

Prestone Introduces Improved Antifreeze/Coolant, Offering Advanced Corrosion Protection

August 22nd, 2014

Prestone Introduces Improved Antifreeze/Coolant, Offering Advanced Corrosion Protection
New Prestone with Cor-Guard? inhibitors helps engines run longer
LAKE FOREST, IL. (August 21, 2014) ? Prestone[SUP]?[/SUP], the leading consumer choice for branded antifreeze/coolant in North America, debuts groundbreaking Cor-Guard? Inhibitor technology. This new Prestone antifreeze formula provides advanced corrosion protection for a vehicle?s entire cooling system, helping engines run longer.
The improved antifreeze formula uses patented Cor-Guard inhibitors to better protect areas in the cooling system most vulnerable to corrosion. When used as directed, new Prestone protects the water pump, heater core, radiator and gaskets from corrosion and degradation, reducing the risk of engine failure and leading to longer engine life.
"Our new proprietary formula improves Prestone?s already industry-leading antifreeze, making it easy for all drivers on the road today to better protect their engines," said Tim Shipley, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Prestone. ?Prestone with Cor-Guard inhibitors will be one of the most pivotal innovations the antifreeze category has seen in nearly 20 years.
To keep pace with today's sophisticated engines, scientists at Prestone's world-renowned Technology Center spent seven years developing this new formula. Prestone tested all cooling system components ? from metals to polymers to gaskets ? and completed more than one million miles of fleet testing, including aggressively driven emergency vehicles, to ensure optimal protection. The enriched formula is backed by multiple patents, does not void manufacturer warranties and works in domestic, Asian and European model vehicles.
"Engine technology is rapidly becoming more advanced, and we recognize Prestone must be a leader in coolant technology to continue serving our customers' best interests," said Shipley.
Drivers can continue to use Prestone with all makes and models of cars and light-duty trucks. Prestone works with any existing antifreeze, regardless of color, and protects in extreme heat and cold.
Prestone[SUP]?[/SUP] with Cor-Guard inhibitors is available in Extended Life Concentrate and 50/50 Ready-To-Use Prediluted Antifreeze/Coolant formulations at leading retailers in North America.

Thanks to all for your help and Merry Christmas to all!

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure you do a real good flush and use distilled water when you refill.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Just make sure you do a real good flush and use distilled water when you refill.

Been there... Done that, in both my vehicles. And will do it again with both my 8.1's.

Just for fun, I might buy a quart of Dexcool, and put some in a glass bottle, and then add an equal amount of Prestone. Bet I know the results already.

"Drivers can continue to use Prestone with all makes and models of cars and light-duty trucks. Prestone works with any existing antifreeze, regardless of color, and protects in extreme heat and cold."

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I flush even when I am not changing a type of fluid. I actually flush a couple times with just distilled water to get all the tap water out from the flush. If there is any water left in the engine, I want it to be distilled water before I add the coolant.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
I flush even when I am not changing a type of fluid. I actually flush a couple times with just distilled water to get all the tap water out from the flush. If there is any water left in the engine, I want it to be distilled water before I add the coolant.

Maybe you would like to come and do both my engines for me???? LOL!

Merry Christmas. :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So how hard is it to run your engines when you are up on blocks?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Now I see your reluctance to do a flush. I would wait until you could get water and do a real flush, especially if that coolant has been in there a long time. Why take a chance?

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
My plan all along was to do a complete flush to both engines in the spring, before it goes back in the water. The previous owner never changed the coolant, and he owned it for about 5 years. So at the very least, it is already 5 years old and overdue.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Update: Flushed and refilled with Prestone and distilled water back in the spring. All is good! :)