Yamaha outdrive

Sambo9333

Cadet
Hello all! I just bought my first boat n thought I got a good deal. It was in a slip when I bought it so I finally pulled the boat out n took it to get winterized. I just got the call back that my outdrive is a yamaha n the guy won't touch it. The problem she gave me was stiff steering water in the gearcase an the gimble bearing ia making noise. Also an alarm is going off. The boat is a 93 winner n I got it for 5800 so I don't wanna put alot more money into it but I have no clue as to what my options really are. Any information anyone has would be very appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
I just got the call back that my outdrive is a yamaha n the guy won't touch it.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Unless yer a diy'er mechanic, yer 1st priority is findin' a Mechanic to work on it, which might be tough,...

Yamaha only sold those for a couple of years, 'n there's very few who'll work on 'em,....

Where are ya located,..??

Sambo9333

Cadet
New jersey, yea I do all my own on vehicles but like I said first boat n just wanted it done by a professional before I started playing with marine. But I figure now it's just gonna be me n youtube n some advice.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your not going to find much on youtube on the yamaha outdrives. As Bondo said, they were few and far between when they were being sold for the few years.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you can't work on it yourself, you are going to have issues. Even if you can work on it, parts availability is going to be a problem. You are going to hate hearing this but I would sell the boat and buy something with a Volvo or Mercruiser.

Fun Times

Staff member
Sure it's worth the effort to see what is wrong and what it might take to repair it. Being a Yamaha stern drive does make it a bit more challenging to sell to anyone in the know of pleasure boating history as it has a bad rap of hard to find parts due to they stopped producing them years ago but something's are still manageable especially if you can make friends with people that do work on them such as forum member Capt Ken out of Nelson Marine Service, Panama City Bch. < Search the name online and before you call, a good post & topic history search may be helpful covering Yamaha drive conversations. Here's one of many for consideration, http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...rd-engines-outdrives/619300-before-phoning-me

Capt Ken

Commander
I'm getting old and grumpy but still not smart enough to give up on these things. I've now been amazed by having one delivered to my shop today from Delaware and when finished, going to Houston. So never say something is too far from a repair facility.

Sambo9333

Cadet
Goof to hear, but I'm thinking I just to purchase parts once I open her up n see what I all need!! Especially now that I got it back n looked at quickly. I have water in power steering so defiantly gonna need some parts!

Bondo

Staff member
I have water in power steering so defiantly gonna need some parts!

Ayuh,.... Most likely a freeze busted Cooler,....

Look in the return oil line for it,....