Timing on 1986 318 Chrysler

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Hey all I have been help my friend with his new to him Marrenette as title says its a 86 with twin 318's. Starboard motor runs fine and is the counter rotating motor but the port motor is giving us some trouble. when we tighten the distributor hold down bolt the motor runs rough and eventually stalls. So I switched distributors and no change tighten it down and it stalls. These are electronic distributors with the O ring gasket.
I was wondering does it also need the gasket that sits under the dist. or is it out of adjustment
Thanks in advance

scamp12

Seaman Apprentice
Did you put a timming light on it . Move the distribtor and try to start it . you only need to move it about 3/16. Ethier way . dont know the rotation of the distributor. Turning the distributor.in the opposite direction of the spinning rotor take the cap off and watch it spin. This will advance the initial timing. Once its running if it idles the same rpm as the other one your close . But put a light on it that motor should have a timing info somewere. . Keep the oring or replace if damage you will have a leak for sure.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the reply scamp. yes have a timing light and have it timed but when I tighten down the hold down bolt timing changes and stalls . and no the dist didn' move