Paragon PV41R V-drive fried

Kiloecho

Seaman
I believe I fried the transmission in my 1974 Century Arabian with 440 Chrysler. I had not used the boat for 4 years due to a couple of deployments and out of state jobs. The new Sherwood pump I installed the last season I used the boat had failed. Long story about how bad your boat can deteriorate that I will discuss in an introduction thread I plan to do on the Restoration forum.

The last trip to the lake to get it up to speed resulted in shucking the impellers and plugging the transmission cooler with rubber. After awhile, the boat started to stammer and carry on as though it had a bad fuel supply. I though it was more of the ethanol fuel and crap I had diligently removed. I misjudged and kept running it thinking I was burning bad gas I had missed during the tank cleaning. I backed off when I saw the engine water temperature climb up past 200*. It looks like I smoked the transmission. Every time I drop it into reverse, it stalls and the transmission fluid is brown and burned. In forward, it continues to buck and stammer. I pulled the fuel system apart again to verity it was free flowing, and it was, so that was not my issue.

I've been searching the internet for a parts source for the PV41R and have turned up nothing. Can't find an overhaul manual either.

Can someone explain why the reverse gear has to be cooled with fresh water?

I may be deploying again this fall and hope to have the trans laid out on the bench so I can order parts while I am gone.

Thanks,

Kevin

P.S.

Can't get the tag function to work. Any ideas?

Last edited: