Crusader 7.4 fuel pump vent

556guy

Cadet
Recently picked up a new to us 31 Tiara and one of the survey items was the lack of fuel pump overflow lines to the carbs. Enginesr are Crusader 7.4 with rochester q-jets. Took a couple of pics and just wanted to make sure I was routing to the correct port on the carbs.
Thanks for any advice, comments...
Tom

Attachments

• photo228623.jpg
    photo228623.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Yes that is where it goes, needs to have a fitting attached as in this pic
marineQjet.jpg

marineQjet2.jpg

556guy

Cadet
Thanks for the quick response!
Both the pump and carb are plugged off like in my pic. Need to get fittings for both and some tubing.

Tom

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the quick response!
Both the pump and carb are plugged off like in my pic. Need to get fittings for both and some tubing.

Tom

If the pump is plugged then someone installed an automotive pump for sure and probably the carb also. Not to say the carb cannot be fixed, but the marine fuel pump in most cases have a double diaphragm and the tube is between the two. This way when the first gets a hole in it, it sends the fuel out the tube as a sign to the boater.

556guy

Cadet
If the pump is plugged then someone installed an automotive pump for sure and probably the carb also. Not to say the carb cannot be fixed, but the marine fuel pump in most cases have a double diaphragm and the tube is between the two. This way when the first gets a hole in it, it sends the fuel out the tube as a sign to the boater.

Would there even be a port if it is an automotive pump?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my assumption is the diaphragm in the pump started going and the PO simply plugged the ports vs fixing the problem (replacing the pump)

556guy

Cadet
No Title

Here is a pic of the fuel pump. I have to think it's correct for the engine?

Attachments

• photo228675.jpg
    photo228675.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
I think your right, appears to me this is prior to the requirement for marine engines to have the over flow tube. The surveyor is indicating that this is a requirement but not for the older boats such as yours. I'm not sure you could put a fitting on the pump in the plug location and have it work correctly

556guy

Cadet
I'll poke around in there this weekend, see if there's a plug in the pump that can be removed. If not, it will be a $400 fix to replace the pumps. :-(

Thanks for the help gents!