need tips on how to remove rusted fitting

turner24

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,

Check out these photos. I sprung a leak in my water line because of what I believe to be a MIP to barb fitting at one time broke off. Does anyone have any tips on what this could be or how to remove? I need tips on what tool to use to get it removed. I've only tried rust remover and opening up a set of pliers in an attempt to grip and turn it out. Please help!

Specs:
Oldsmobile 455 big block w/ Berkeley Jet Drive

This photo is the hose end
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

The photo you can see where the hose needs to connect to the motor
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It looks like part of the intake manifold. I would try an easy out first. You will need to apply heat and penetrating oil (kroil or pb blaster)

If that doesn't work, dremel tool followed up by an NPT pipe tap

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Maybe soak it over night (PB Blaster...etc) then maybe an easy-out tool?
Or a risky method...REAL carefully keep drilling with larger and larger drill bits until you can pick out the remains with a small screwdriver or some sort of pick. This second method obviously has to be done very carefully because of the threat of damaging the threads, but it can be done. I have done it and it takes a while.
If those two methods don't work, maybe you can drill it and tap it slightly larger and get a barb fitting from your local hardware store.
You don't want to damage that housing. probably big bucks.
Good luck. Report back your results.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Wait, so where is this located? I thought it was a water hose barb screwed into a bell housing for a merc outdrive.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Oh, sorry, my bad. I guess I had not saw your pictures!

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Just get a new water pump, it comes with the fittings. Seriously, it's probably due anyway.