Mercruiser and Velevet drive in dry dock for 4 years

captainmugs

Cadet
I need to know how to proceed with breathing life back into a mercruiser inboard 260 V-8 with a velvet drive. They are in a boat that has been dry docked for 4 years. I have been told I need to remove the spark plugs and oil the cylinders by hand as well as fog them with sea foam spray, then re install plugs remove the carb and dump Marvels Mystery Oil down the intake and allow to "soak" for a week or so. Once this is complete remove the plugs drain and refill the engine oil and replace oil filter. Next slowly turn the motor by hand with the spark plugs out then turn the engine with the starter to prime the oil pump and lube the camshaft. Re install spark plugs and carb. As far as the velvet drive I have no idea what to do other than drain and re fill the fluid. What else should be done? What am I missing to get this old girl up and running? Thanks in advance!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Sounds pretty excessive to me,....

I'd checkAll the fluid levels, 'n look it over, pulleys to prop,....
Pull the spark plugs, 'n spray in yer favorite lube, sea foam you mention is fine, pull, 'n ground the coil wire, 'n turn it over on the starter, til oil pressure is noted,...
Put the spark plugs back in, hook everything up, splash some gas down the carb, 'n hit the key,....

Hopefully, she'll spring to life,....

Runnin' it on a remote gas can fulla fresh gas, will save pumpin' the junk in the boat's tank, through the fuel system,....

Bondo

Staff member
Sorry, I don't,.... I know it's a marine transmission, 'n has an oil level,....

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
I would check the drive fluid. If it is over full I would pull a few ounces off the bottom and inspect it. It should look just like it does in the bottle. (Dexron III )
I would do this before I turned the engine over. If it looks clean and does not smell burned just go with it.
You should have an oil change unit. That will work on the VD also. An outboard gas bulb with about a foot of gas hose on each end will do fine.