1993 OMC 5.8 Cobra No full throttle, falls flat on accel, Popping and backfiring.

hippiezm

Recruit
My first boat, was stored for 7 years. Ran great the first 2 tanks of gas, 32 gallon. Issue started 2 time out after I bent the prop on a rock. Had replaced the prop, which had changed WOT rpm by 500+. Was running at about 4800-5k, now 5500. First replaced filter. no change. Had an issue with the anti-siphon nipple at tank outlet being plugged, had noticed the Hi-pressure fp screaming like lacking fuel, at all times running./ Thought I had fixed this issue by clearing restriction, but pump was still noisy. Removed pump from fuel separator, and the inlet screen was plugged with what looked like silicone grease. Replaced pump, ran great for 20 minutes but noticed smoke from under the cover. Stopped the engine, smelled electrical but was gone in a few seconds. No more smoke, but started falling flat again. Maybe the vapor separator is full of gomp? I tested the low pressure pump by removing line out and running. Moves fuel well. Approx .3 gallon in 45 seconds? LOST

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
Don't know what you did to the engine, but you were WAY over-revving it. My manual has 4000-4400 MAX for carb engine and 4200-4600 MAX for fuel injected.