84 OMC 2.5l sterndrive tilt problem

cubbo

Cadet
Working on a 84' OMC 2.5L sterndrive tilt problem. Just wen out to move the boat out of the drive so I can have it sealed, tried to raise the drive and just buzz and click.

Good strong battery! OK, so what I have done so far (right or wrong) but figured it will help troubleshoot.

1. checked battery and charged up....good and strong...just click when try to raise the drive
2. visually nothing wrong anywhere.
3. needed to get the drive so I can move the boat...was not sure how to do this so, I first removed the retainer plate and the tilt unit cover, noticed a good bit of water came out when I removed the cover (had to pry a bit after removing the 4 screws) def need to replace the gasket and rings but then removed the retainer and bushing and now I was able to move the drive a bit by hand.

I noticed the "worm" was able to move and I then had my son try the switch just to see....it raised about half on its own and stopped??? I now just turned the key off and raised it by hand.

still torn apart for now....I am not sure how to verify what is actually wrong...tilt motor or something else mechanical

what should I be looking for or how to test?? Will pics help?

southkogs

Staff member
Start with a couple of easy things cubbo:

Since the battery is good: Test the solenoids that drive the tilt motor and see if they're doing what they're supposed to. My guess is your tilt motor is needing some work. They're a pain to get to 'cause of where they sit, but it's pretty cheap to have 'em rebuilt.

If you wind up taking it off, be careful ... there's a spring and a hammer coupler in there that are gonna' want to jump out and find the bottom of the bilge. You need both of those parts, and they can be a little tough to find to buy.

cubbo

Cadet
Sounds good, I will test them, kinda looked passed them cause it sounded like the motor was trying to do something, and the clicking. Always good to check and make sure. I will do some checking and get back. As for the the tilt cover, I need to order a gasket I think and maybe a O ring, I was not able to get it to go back on.....it is tight and I guess it is supposed to be, can it be persuaded with a mallet? or should it be able to be pushed back in by hand?

southkogs

Staff member
Yours is actually different than mine, and I've never had mine apart. So, I'm not sure the best way to reassemble that one. I do know that you want 'em tight. I've heard they have a tendency to leak like mad.

Your O ring and gasket should be available HERE. Click on the dropdown in the upper left and go to "stern drive."

cubbo

Cadet
heard the same....it is a trade off of tight so it dont leak but too tight can bind clutch. I will see what happens...ordered! still need to check relays and motor