Question about a fuel water separator

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After running the boat the first time with a fuel water separator I decided to check the bowl the next day. When I opened the drain it was full of fuel. More fuel than what that bowl can hold. I thought it would be dry or have water in it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The filter above the bowl also has fuel in it.
Once the motor turns over it activates the pump and the pump draws fuel displacing the air.
If you found no water then there isn't water in the fuel or not enough to pick up.That's a GOOD thing.

Once you start to drain all the fuel above the filter drains too. It empties the lines both ways.

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess I still don't understand. I know the fuel filter above the bowl has fuel in it. But I thought the whole purpose of the bowl was to open the drain and see if water comes out. How do I know if there is water in there if when I open it fuel comes out as well?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You drain into a clear container and water will be obvious on the bottom of the container.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you have water in the fuel, the water would settle to the lowest point as it is heavier than the fuel hence the water, if any, will be in the bowl.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It filters out water by Gravity,.... water is heavier than fuel,.....

The element filters out crud,....

When ya drain the bowl, pure fuel is Good,....
If there's water in it, it'll be a bubble of water, driftin' 'round in the puddle of fuel,.....