1992 454 King Cobra--I am new to this, and need advice

danbettis

Cadet
Taking boat in tomorrow to have someone to look at welding it up some so I have a good lip for the boot to seal well.

Offrddrver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
DB,

I think building up some welding is a good idea to help with your seal.
Also weld the crack in the pivot housing.
If you can't get the welding done, then make sure you at least clean up those burs to prevent damage to a new u-joint boot. (yes I'd buy a new u-joint boot)

I highly suggest aligning your motor to the new gimble bearing and driveshaft seal (or get it aligned), or else you may eat up another gimble bearing and seal quickly. (speaking from experience with my first gimble bearing and seal replacement) Aligned properly on my 2nd attempt with the proper alignment tool/bar that a work friend had.

How did your u-joints and "drive shaft" look? Mine were heavily rusted with surface rust when my boot was damaged, but everything cleaned up easy enough. I did replace my u-joints.

Save your old parts to help press/tap in the new parts to prevent damage to your new parts. Unless you have access to the correct tools.

Offrddrver

danbettis

Cadet
No Title

Offrddrver,

Thank you for all of your help. My neighbor told me about this guy in North Phoenix, near I-17 and Deer Valley. He tells me that the guy can weld aluminum like nobody's business. I will have a better idea tomorrow. I will have him take a look at the cracks, and the pivot housing. Thankfully I have found pretty much else everything that I need to this point. I will look on marine engine as well. Thanks again

Attachments

• photo226665.jpg
    photo226665.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo226799.JPG
    photo226799.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo226800.JPG
    photo226800.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 1

Offrddrver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
DB,

Oh, your pictures of the drive shaft bring back memories. On my boat I cleaned up all those parts with a wire brush (on metal parts), soft brush (near/on the outdrive shaft seal...careful with that seal), and good old WD40. As stated I chose to replace my u-joints, but to be honest they didn't look too bad internally as I did have marine grease in them. (in other words the u-joint pin bearings were still in good shape even after the water got in there)

Remember, search the internet for your parts as you will find better prices on one site to the next.

Hey, if you can let me/us know that Phoenix welder guy's name or business that would be great also.

Best of luck

Offrddrver

danbettis

Cadet
No Title

Offrddrver,

Here are some picture of the repair, all done. I am thrilled with the work, not to mention that I dropped it off mid-morning, and picked it up the same day. I will clean up, and paint the areas before reassembly. I decided today after doing some more rotations with the u-joints, that I will change them.

The guy's name is Neil. I was given his name from a buddy who has known him for 40 plus years. He seemed to be a real nice guy. His business is basically Deer Valley and I-17. I have, and will continue to shop around to get the best prices on the rest of the parts. I would rather buy from one place so I don't waste too much money on shipping, but it does pay to compare.

ATV Racing
22033 N 24th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 516-8640

Attachments

• photo226864.JPG
    photo226864.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo226865.JPG
    photo226865.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo226866.JPG
    photo226866.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 2

Offrddrver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A step in the right direction. Thanks for the info, I'll store this guys information for the future.

Offrddrver

Offrddrver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
And yes, I agree on buying from one place. I just price out all my parts from multiple places, add in the shipping, and whoever comes out the cheapest is the "winner" of my money. Best of luck on a good price.