OMC 3.0 stringer clutch dog slipping?

OmcOwner2

Cadet
Hello fellow iboaters!

First of all I wanna say thank you for all the knowledge I've received over the years from all of you. I never could have got my first boat going and kept her up with out you guys. :)

I am disassembling the full mechanical stringer lower due to a recent clunking under heavy load. Acts as if it's slipping out of gear for a split second. I also found a very small amount of water and shavings in the oil. The previous oil change there was no water and virtually no metal. I'm thinking forward gear/clutch dog because I've checked out every other possible thing I can think of. Also did lots of researching on the issue and everything points to the clutch dog.

Last edited:

OmcOwner2

Cadet
No Title

Ok got it all apart and here are some pics of the gears:

Attachments

• photo227021.jpg
    photo227021.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo227023.jpg
    photo227023.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 0

OmcOwner2

Cadet
Here's the pics of both sides of the clutch dog:

16iwjso.jpg

2bbltl.jpg

Well I'm no expert but the these gears and clutch dog look be in decent shape to me. The corners are slightly rounded but not real bad. Not sure if this is enough for it slip out of gear or not. Gonna run out and double check the lower shift cable for stretch. Anybody got any opinions?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
The corners are slightly rounded but not real bad.

Ayuh,..... Unfortunately, that's Really Beat, as far as transmission parts go,....

Visible wear is Too Much wear,....

OmcOwner2

Cadet
Thanks a lot for the expert opinion Bondo! I guess I'll start searching for a new gear set and reseal kit. Gotta hurry and get the old girl back on the water before summer is over. She doesn't do me much good tore apart in the garage, especially on these 100+ days we been having. :tan:

Thanks again Bondo.