Overheating Issues on 1989 OMC 2.3

Dishdude01

Cadet
Hi guys, I have an over heating issue on my OMC 2.3L and I am a bit stumped. I have removed the pump assembly in the stern drive and everything seems to be fine. I went so far as to check that the pump shaft rotates when the engine is running which by the way is turning. I checked the tube that's coming up to the thermostat housing and it too is good. The problem is when the engine is running in idle or in slow trolling speed it starts to over heat. When the boat goes faster it starts to cool down, obviously telling me there is real no flow issue. I have purchased a new thermostat and all caskets as well as a new pump for the engine but don't want to change all this if its not the issue. I'm really stumped as I said before so any suggestion would be really appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
I went so far as to check

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Did ya Change the impeller,..?? That's step #1 in any over heat situation,.....

If it was a new impeller, were there any, scorin', or other scars in the pump face plates,..??

Dishdude01

Cadet
No, I didn't, it appeared in relatively good shape. I take it apart and check it again though. I post a few pics of its condition. Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Cobra impeller, make sure to replace the wear plate, and make sure to get the o ring gasket in place correctly. I will leave the cover off and run it on the water hose to make sure there are no water leaks around the impeller housing.

Dishdude01

Cadet
All done boys, no more over heating. The original pump impeller must have been done. I replaced it and the ware plate. Thanks for all the help !!