4 Winns + 5.0L OMC -- top speed? and bogging..

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
OffD

O I forgot to mention the wires I got

They are belden's Part # BEL-700724

Not fitted them yet, I got fuel tank issues now :(

-Pantz

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also

I thought I read somewhere that it's illegal to use portable tanks with boats that have permanent tanks installed? Do I have that correct?

What if I keep the tank above deck as it's stated? I can get creative with the fuel line route.

I'm not sure I understand why a low profile low perm tank cannot be fitted into the space where the existing tank goes?..

Would be simple modifications to get that to work..even as far as boring a hole to view the tank level, as well as creating some vent holes.

JJBoatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pantz,

No I haven't had to change my wires. I changed my plugs because my engine was slightly bogging while trimming up or down on plane. Believe it or not, closing the plug gap slightly corrected this problem. I found an old thread on here that addressed the issue and the problem was caused by the power drain on the system when using the trim motor. I don't remember the plug number off the top of my head but I can tell you it is the direct replacement for the original plugs that champion no longer produces. Same plug, different number than in 1992.

This is a late suggestion, but with reference to the oily threads on a couple of your plugs. I would suspect that they weren't tight due to the difficulty in accessing them. Some folks just don't put in the effort or are limited by their tool selection to properly torque them down. I had the same issue on my engine and the 2 plugs with oily threads were barely torqued beyond hand tight. Loose plug = compression leak, low chamber temp, incomplete burn, low cylinder temp, rings not warm enough to fully seal . I pulled those plugs on mine again after running it for 15 hours and they looked fine, no more oil.

JJBoatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
"Not fitted them yet, I got fuel tank issues now :(":

What is your fuel tank issue??

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi JJ,

Read all about it in this thread: http://forums.iboats.com/node/10005572 (solved)

I solved that one somewhat easily, but costly. New Moeller tank and some creative hose routing. I also ground down the original ridge in the fuel tank compartment so the moeller tank sits nicely on either side of the hull with the ridge right down it's belly.

-Pantz

JJBoatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow...think I'm going to pull my deck and check my tank. I haven't had any indication of fuel leaks but I'll feel better looking under there to make sure things aren't deteriorating. Nice job on the repair.