electric shift

mayjean123

Seaman Apprentice
is the electric shift on a 120 1980 omc worth changing over to from manual shift

superbenk

Commander
Electric shift ended in 1977 if I remember correctly. After that came a hydro-mechanical shift up through 1980 when it switched to a full-mechanical shift with an ignition cut-out to relieve drive force & allow the clutch dog to slide out. Each shifting mechanism improved over the previous in various ways (or at least changed things). I had a hydro-mechanical in a 1980 boat previous to this boat & never had a problem with it but I've read the full-mechanical is more desirable and reliable. You'd need a completely different outdrive to switch between electric & either of the mechanical shifting (along with a remote, etc.). I'm not sure if a drive change is required to go between hydro-mechanical & full-mechanical, but full-mechanical certainly requires some additional parts to handle the ignition retarding mechanism.

So I guess the question is why do you ask? What's wrong that you're considering switching?

southkogs

Staff member
Like Ben says ... that's kinda' going backwards. Full mechanical would the direction you probably wanna' go if you change at all.

mayjean123

Seaman Apprentice
the switch was I couldn't find a cable but just by luck I found one at a boat shop that's been around for years thanks for the info

southkogs

Staff member
... look above the propeller, just next to the idle relief holes in the lower unit.
A pocket with a rectangular zinc anode there means you have a full mechanical shift lower, no pocket/anode means you have a hydromechanical shift lower
Had to look up the difference ... I'm not around 'em enough.