88 Bayliner OMC Chev 305 5 litre V8 Warm starting/idling issues

karges

Cadet
I would be eternally indebted to anyone that might that might be able to offer some useful advice on this issue as it has really ruined my boating experience! Basically the engine takes several turns, but starts and runs perfectly when cold. The problem arises after running it for a while at harbor or cruising speed, and then stopping to buy supplies, fuel, lunch, or whatever. After being shut down for 30 minutes or so, it will fire right up, but the idle is weak, and as soon as you put it in gear it dies. It will subsequently fire up and die immediately, or idle very weakly, and die as soon as it is put in gear over and over again. I end up turning the idle way up, starting and revving it a bit, and then putting in gear and praying. If it stays running in gear, its straight back to the moorage and done for the day.

Engine has been tuned (albeit by my partner who is not a certified mechanic but knows what he's doing), new plugs/wires a couple seasons ago. Still has points, condenser etc. QuadraJet carb rebuilt several years ago. Mixture hasn't been adjusted in the 7 years or so that I have owned it. The engine runs great until you turn it off and let it sit a bit. I have read about "heat soak" but not really sure what to do about it. Could it be a choke issue? Thanks again for any help!

Bondo

Staff member
Engine has been tuned (albeit by my partner who is not a certified mechanic but knows what he's doing), new plugs/wires a couple seasons ago. Still has points, condenser etc. QuadraJet carb rebuilt several years ago. Mixture hasn't been adjusted in the 7 years or so that I have owned it. The engine runs great until you turn it off and let it sit a bit. I have read about "heat soak" but not really sure what to do about it. Could it be a choke issue?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... a few things jump out at me,.....

Points are an Annual maintenance thing,.... Atleast clean, 'n set, if not replace 'em each year,....

A carb rebuild is only good til the next time rotten fuel, water, 'n crud are pumped into it,.....
I'm guessin' yer's is long overdue,...
Inspect the Contents of the fuel filters for starters, to see how bad it might be,...

I think the choke is the only reason it runs Right, when cold,...
When the choke pulls off, it's probably goin' lean,...

The hard restartin' could also be leakin' fuel bowls,...